Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of pots do you use with a J-bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jacob M, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    So I'm trying to re-do a J-bass with all new electronics, and I buy some pots, just the regular kind they have everywhere, and it turns out they don't work. I figure out (or think I've figured out) that I need solid shaft pots to fit the J-bass plate, and I order those, but there's that damned knurling blocking me from actually securing them onto the plate.

So what kind of pots do I need to wire up a J-bass with, and where can I get them?

Thanks alot,
    Jacob

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The only thing that you have to worry about is the shaft size being able to fit in the control plate, and the right values of resistance. The kind of shaft (knurled split, or smooth solid) doesn't matter. That has to do with what kind of knobs you are using.

3. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    Yeah, I had figured that out in trying both split and solid shafted pots. What I want to know is what types of pots would fit; do I need those mini ones?

4. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    <uhh...huh,huh,huh> you're talking about shaft sizes?

Sorry...couldn't pass that up. :D :D

But seriously, typically 250 or 500K unless you are using active electronics which require different values. If you search the Fender website, I think there are schematics available applicable to your situation. As far as parts, they sell pots in most guitar stores and online. There are long and short shaft sizes so keep that in mind.

5. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    The value of the pot, the length of the shaft, and the manner in which to wire them up are not what I'm concerned with, I need pots that physically fit into the slots of a J-bass control plate. I know they sell pots in most guitar stores, but none of those kinds seem to fit my control plate.

6. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio
    Is this a Fender Jazz with the typical control plate? Huh, I would have thought these pots would be easy to find. Did you try those Fender pots in the little "baggies" I have seen at stores?

What are the original pots like? Any manufacturer specified?

Other than that, I'm stumped :eek:

7. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    Well, I over-simplified quite a bit in my initial statement, since it seemed that it would be simpler.

It's a warmoth P/J bass with a J cavity and a J control plate ordered from WD. I assume that the control plate should be the same as the Fender ones, cause who would want to buy, and who would make, a control plate for a J-bass that didn't fit on a J-bass and accept the regular J-bass pots? So there are no "original pots", the ones I originally got were regular CTS split shaft pots, then I got CTS solid shaft pots, now I'm looking for what kinda pots will actually fit.

Might it be so simple as to just buy Fender J-bass pots from some store? That would make me feel rather dumb, but at least I could go out and do it.

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    No, Fender uses CTS pots. Your pots are the correct size - you just have a metric control plate with too-small holes. Order a Fender or other control plate with 3/8" holes and you'll be good to go.

250K CTS solid shaft audio taper pots are the usual suspects when it comes to Jazzes.

9. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Drill a bigger hole in the plate.

Dave

10. Jacob M

Jacob M

Aug 28, 2004
    New York
    Should I feel unusual in that I don't have a drill made for drilling through metal?

11. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Just get a new plate. It will cost less than the proper drill and drill bit, and be much safer if you don't have a drillpress.