Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of prices are you guys seeing on Christophers?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ole Jason, Apr 27, 2004.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I had a 3/4 carved bussetto model offered to me for $2500. That included set up and new strings (obligato I believe). I think I"m gonna hold off on it in hopes of finding a bass that fits my hands more like the Juzek I'm playing now but I think a buddy of mine is gonna get it. Sound like a good deal?

I was extremely impressed with the arco sound of it, considering it was a new bass with new strings. Are any of you guys using this bass for jazz?

2. That's A really good price

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Best recollection is that Gage has them for around $2K, but check out Geoff Morrow's site, he sells one for this much. He's got some other stuff too. Be sure to ask him about the extent of the set up, though. I don't know about Geoff's Chrissie's, but Gage's are set up pretty well before they hit the sales floor.
    I do know Geoff though, I bought the bass I currently own from him and wouldn't hesitate to buy another bass from him.

Oh yeah, lotsa people play them for jazz. Michael Moore for one.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    $2500 seems to be the regular price. Mine was that much. Came with a setup, but no new strings. See if you can get it to $2200 or $2K like Ed's saying.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Oh and check out Jon Packard's two tunes here. those were recorded on a carved Chrissy.
    And they are jazz.

6. The Christopher that Michael plays in the Brubeck quartet is plywood. It's that good.
    By the way Ed, the $2,000 Gage price is for the plywood, with full setup by Gage. As I read the post, Ole is looking at a carved bass for 2.5K. If it's for real, the price is hard to beat.

7. Nick Ara

Nick Ara

Jul 22, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Ed, your bass is a cannon! I remember hearing you play unamplified with two horns and a piano in that crowded Sushi place in Chelsea. Your bass was loud and clear over all the customer chatter from the very front, to the back of the room. Oddly enough, the "stage" was below the dining level, almost like being in an orchestra pit! Pretty remarkable.

8. Here in San Francisco, the 300 series were around $2200, and the 400 series $3000. I got a 403 (violin) for $2400 because it had a pretty big scratch on the top. The difference on the 400 is it has a carved back, and a different veneer. Not as hard and shiny as the 300 (hence the scratch! But it also sounds more musical) Those were setup, and included a bag. Two luthiers I visited had about the same prices, and both seemed like they knew how to do a good setup, but one guy had that discounted bass and that was good for me.

9. songdog

songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    Salvadore in Metarie LA. set my la scala carved back up, and quoted me $2300. He adjusted the bridge and nut, and repalced the tailpiece hanger with braided wire, and upgraded the strings. It is a great sounding bass. I decided to have the action set fairly high, however it is still quite easy to play. I have a 50's Kay with nyoln strings set lower, that is not as challenging physically, however it lacks the resonance of the christopher. With an obvious age difference between the two, I really love the tone of the christopher. songdog

10. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Sounds like he gave us a good price on it then. I think my buddy is gonna pick it up in a week or two.

Has anyone tried the smaller Christopher's? I'm not sure if the Juzek I play is really a half size because the string length is the same as a 3/4 but the body is quite a bit smaller and the neck is slimmer. It just feels more at home in my hands I suppose.

edit: the shop is Bartel's baroque violin shop in Cincinatti in case anyone is interested. He said he'll be getting a hundred basses in stock in a few weeks.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    I like my bass a lot. My favorite story is that this bassist, Dan Schuman, came by and sat in on a gig and was sure that he was playing through an amp.

12. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey Ed, is your Chrissy the fully carved one or the hybrid? What body style?

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Ooo, gotta check profiles. I never said I played a Christopher. But I did buy my bass from a guy who sells Christophers.
    Anyway, click on the profile, bass is listed there.

14. A Baroque violin shop? Seems to me if they're Bar-oque they should fix 'em first. Hardy Har Har.

I just saw the Web site for a reputable shop in Chicago that was selling a Christopher carved busetto for $7450 including setup, so yeah, comparatively I'd say you're getting a good deal. (I think, though, that this is Chr.'s top-line model).

Don't go for a half-size bass; I doubt if the Juzek is a half-size if the mensura is the same as a 3/4. If you need a slimmer neck, maybe you can get the Christopher's shaved down a bit.

15. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    One hundred basses!?! :eek:

Sure this place wasn't Bartel's Big Bass Barn out near the interstate?

16. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    One additional note on the size of Christophers: I have a 3/4 carved top Busetto style Christopher and the upper bouts are a little narrower than a violin corner style. This makes the bass easy to get around and feel a little smaller than it is. I agree with Goodbar on avoiding 1/2 basses unless you are just too small to get around a 3/4.

Had I realized how much narrower the upper bouts would be on the Busetto stye, I might have been tempted to get the 7/8 version.

I will also add that I love my hybrid Christopher and would not part with it unless I came across a "once in a life-time" type of deal on a fully caved bass. If you can swing the $2,300 - $2,500 for a fully carved model, do it and feel great about it.

Good Luck . . .

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You can hear my Christopher carved bass through the link to the TB sampler online in the recordings forum. I love my bass, and think it was a flat out steal.

18. Just another tip o'the hat to ya Pac....I listened to that second cut of your sample today just in case there was some trickery involved in the first...but no... Crissy sounds great and so does it's Daddy!!

19. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    haha well I did a double take when he told me that too. He said he is buying for the next couple of years though, and he sells to a lot of schools. Plus, the more basses on hand the more likely you are to find one you really like :)

You're right about my Juzek, it's not a half size, just very small bodied with a slim neck. It fits in my car nicely.

20. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    If you don't mind me asking, about what did you pay for your Hybrid? I am dealing on a hybrid 7/8 Busetto and really don't have any idea what a good price is on this Christopher. I feel better knowing there is someone out there that has what I am looking for and is impressed with the bass. :D

Thanks!