What kind of Rick 4003?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, Feb 21, 2004.

1. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    I have my eye on a mid-eighties (86?) Rick 4003. :bassist:

It all natural (darker tint than say a maple glo, almost like a light walnut) with solid black accent line around the body, black PG and black pickup cover. Also, has all black hardware and white binding around the neck. Bass must weigh no more than 8lbs.

Owner is asking $850.00, but the pickup selector switch only works for the top two positions, but does not work when the selector is in the lowest position (closest to the floor).

My question is:

Was this type of option (black hardware, etc.) a special order, or a custom type 4003? :help:
  2. Wow, lots of RIC talk lately....Anyway...

RIC used to give black hardware as an upgrade or alternative choice(for an additional charge of course) but discontinued this option some time ago.

Also...as for the colour..Ric made last made walnut stains in '85
    Or maybe its a Burgandy?
  3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    The bass is a 4003 finished Mapleglo with the black binding/hardware option. There was no additional charge for black trim, hardware.
    Rickenbacker discontinued this option because it wasn't very popular. Also, it was only available on 4003's finished in either White, Red, Blue, or Mapleglo.
    You either love this combination or hate it, most RIC lovers felt the latter.
  4. According to RIC's priceguide there was a 75$ upcharge to change everything to black. http://www.the-music-connection.com/price.htm
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Good luck. My ric weighs a little over 9 pounds.
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    I have the RIC 1987, 1988 original price lists in front of me. It clearly states that the black trim option is available at no extra charge.
    They originally tried to charge for it, but no one would pay for it and very few were sold the first year. It then became a N/C option to encourage sales. But even then they didn't sell very many of them compared to the standard white/chrome trim, so they discontinued it.
  7. Cool, i was just going by what i could see...as far as i know Ricpage is usually quite accurate with their info.