1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of rig can handle F#?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geðrven', Sep 30, 2008.

1. Geðrven'

Geðrven'

Sep 25, 2008
    I've long wanted a 5-string tuned F#BEAD, but only yesterday got around to replacing my bass - inadequate for B let alone F# - with something that stands a better chance of playing and sounding well down there. Now, I need a rig to match, since I have a 200W Hartke head of some sort, and no speakers (had a Hartke aluminium 1x15, but loaned it to a black metal band once and it came back in two pieces...:scowl:).

I'm not looking to register on the Richter scale (yet), but I do want to be heard in louder practice and smaller gigs all the way down to F#. Do I need to upgrade my head? And regardless, I'll need speakers - what should I look for, since that F#'s 23.something Hz is near or below the advertised frequency response of many 18" subs?

Put another way - what're you folks with ERB's, Knuckles, and other sub-B instruments using?

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    If you want to hear an F# at any kind of gig-worthy level, you will be dropping big money.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Look into Acme cabs, as they are known for honestly producing the lows they claim, unlike many/most other brands.

Also remember that when you get down that low the harmonics are just as important as the fundamental, and our brains will "fill in the blanks"- when we hear all the harmonics for a low note, we "hear" the fundamental (even if it was rolled off by the speaker cab) because our brain fills it in for us.

I'm not saying you "can't" or "shouldn't" try to get those fundamentals out there, but that doing so may be expensive and unnecessary, depending on what kind of gigs you're doing.

4. kho

kho Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2006
    Laytonsville, MD
  5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Every bass cab I have ever played through can handle and F#. Everyone one. Period.

6. sei24bass

sei24bass

Nov 28, 2006
    Best results I've had so far have been through the large PJB cabs (deep, powerful and exceptionally fast), though they are neither cheap nor light...

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Right. Everyone one.

:D

But seriously, freq specs have to be taken with a grain of salt. They are by no means a barometer of whether a cab can handle low F#.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
  9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    More to the point, the second harmonic will dominate unless the string length is 1/4 wavelength. At 23 Hz that's twelve feet.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    +1.

I "had" one, waste of time with real low tunings or anything really & definetly no db's to talk about regardless of power source...

IME,
    ~S~

PS: My Mesa Diesel 1x18 killed it every way...

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    LOL! Could you be a "bit" more specific as to what "you" played regarding tunings & cabs/amps...

~S~

12. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

4 string with standard tuning. There's lots of F#'s on my bass and I've heard them all in every cab I have tried! :D

13. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    I'm just curious: What does one need a low F# for? I'm just wondering.

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I believe the answer sounds something like "boom."

15. jar240

jar240 Supporting Member

The Brown Note.

:ninja:

Chris

16. Just a word against using Acme cabs for this. Per the manufacturer's website, power handling drops off drastically under 31Hz, making them vulnerable to damage.

BTW, Bongo: I've read and respected many, many posts from you since I started following talkbass. I mean absolutely no disrespect by disagreeing.

Also BTW, this is my first post ever. I've been feebly (and unsuccessfully) trying to resist assimilation. :)

17. Yes, it does exist, and there's more than one :D

18. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    ACK. I heard they've been using this video to get information out of terrorists at Gitmo.

19. mat666

mat666

Apr 3, 2007
    montreal
    my bass is a 6'ers F# to G

I have a mesa powerhouse 1000 (4x10 and 1x15) and a 8x10 maddison and both handle really good the low F#

depends what you prefer

20. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Low F# is a very handy octave to play in due to nobody short of a hump back whale or an elephant being able to tell if you know the song or not,
    and they are not usually that critical.
    So how will this bass part sound on Ipod headphones I wonder?.
    :bassist: