Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of slapping is this?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by René R, Sep 2, 2005.

1. René R

René R

Aug 17, 2005
    Hello everybody,

Recently I started a thread on rockabillybass.com about some slapping I heard on a Hank Williams song called Move it on over. Behind the guitarsolo you can hear the bassplayer do a short piece of fast slapping. My question was ¨what kind of slapping is this?¨ and some came up with an answer. Mostly ¨this is just a triplet¨ was suggested but I think I hear something else. Is there anyone here who can hear what he is doing?
    The piece with the slapping (204Kb) is here
    I also have a slowed down version (84Kb) you can listen to it here

Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Those are not triplets. Those are quadruplets, or as Dan from RABB likes to call them, fourples. A yank and three slaps.

3. René R

René R

Aug 17, 2005
    When I listen to the slowed down version I even think to hear `fiveples`. I´m probably wrong. Is there a name for fiveples?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Quintuples?

Not to brag, but I am a musical genius (at least that's what my mom used to tell me), and I would stake my reputation that it's fourples. Fiveples don't really make musical sense in a simple 4/4 song.

5. René R

René R

Aug 17, 2005
    You are right. I now know they are. I´m gonna practice hard and play quadruplets some day.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've tried it a few times and I can't figure out a technique other than to just yank and slap it 3 times with a flat hand. And Dan isn't very forthcoming with how he does it. Well, he sort of is, but I think he's saving the trick part of it for himself. Then again, maybe there's no trick to it. Maybe it really is a yank and three flat-hand slaps.

Nah...there's got to be a trick!