What kind of slapping is this?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by René R, Sep 2, 2005.

1. René R

René R

Aug 17, 2005
    Hello everybody,

Recently I started a thread on rockabillybass.com about some slapping I heard on a Hank Williams song called Move it on over. Behind the guitarsolo you can hear the bassplayer do a short piece of fast slapping. My question was ¨what kind of slapping is this?¨ and some came up with an answer. Mostly ¨this is just a triplet¨ was suggested but I think I hear something else. Is there anyone here who can hear what he is doing?
    The piece with the slapping (204Kb) is here
    I also have a slowed down version (84Kb) you can listen to it here

Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Those are not triplets. Those are quadruplets, or as Dan from RABB likes to call them, fourples. A yank and three slaps.

3. René R

René R

Aug 17, 2005
    When I listen to the slowed down version I even think to hear `fiveples`. I´m probably wrong. Is there a name for fiveples?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Quintuples?

Not to brag, but I am a musical genius (at least that's what my mom used to tell me), and I would stake my reputation that it's fourples. Fiveples don't really make musical sense in a simple 4/4 song.

5. René R

René R

Aug 17, 2005
    You are right. I now know they are. I´m gonna practice hard and play quadruplets some day.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I've tried it a few times and I can't figure out a technique other than to just yank and slap it 3 times with a flat hand. And Dan isn't very forthcoming with how he does it. Well, he sort of is, but I think he's saving the trick part of it for himself. Then again, maybe there's no trick to it. Maybe it really is a yank and three flat-hand slaps.

Nah...there's got to be a trick!