1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of speaker cable(s) do i need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Savage Hippie, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Getting my new-used rig in the mail soon. Eden XST 410, Hartke model 5000 250wt + 250wt head.
    Both have multiple output and input jacks. I was hoping someone could let me know if i need to use the speakon jacks, or 1/4 or what have you.

Ohh, also I'm planning on getting an 800wt pf Ampeg head somewhere in the future, so if the cables could be used for both heads, that would be great.

2. Google each with pic in the query. I would be surprised if a couple of speakon leads would not do the job but I am not googling for you.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    It appears the Hartke does not have Speakon outputs, so 1/4" speaker cables is what you need.

4. You're right. The eden cab does tho. Would i have to do speakon for the cab side and 1/4 into the head? Like the half n half cable. 1 side speakon, 1 side 1/4

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You CAN, but the Eden should also have 1/4" inputs.

6. That it does. As far as i can tell, I'm just gonna go with the double 1/4 ended speaker cable. 12 gauge, 3-4ft

7. BUT.. does the speakon jack have a tonal significance?

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It sets the tone for a speaker cable that can't be yanked out. Sonically, there is no difference between speakon and ΒΌ" for your application.

wcriley likes this.
  9. Farout. Good explanation, Beans. Thanks everybody

beans-on-toast likes this.
  10. A SpeakON will transfer all the same tones as a 1/4" plug, resulting in the same timbre.

I use SpeakON where possible. My amp only has 1/4" output, but my cabinet accepts SpeakON. I'm using a 1/4" to SpeakON cable.

Savage Hippie likes this.