1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of stage theatrics do you do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by The Winkler, Dec 30, 2006.

1. The Winkler

The Winkler

Nov 11, 2006
    How is your live act memorable?
    I'm talking sweet moves to impress the ladies, like bringing your plucking hand to the lower frets to tap, or something crazy like that.
    Some kind of spaced out light show?
    Do you put on more of a "show" than a musical performance?

I for one love to dress in crazy costumes.

2. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I try not to fall down.

3. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    I groove or rock out to the music. I sometimes swing my bass if it's a player and not a keeper. I can manage a powerslide if the music calls for it.

I'd say our live show is about 50/50 show/music.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I do stunts with my upright bass like holding it behind my head, behind my back, and over my head while playing. I'm more boring with my electric, but I will occasionally throw it up in the air and catch it. Haven't missed it yet, but I've come close to breaking my nose a couple times.

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Magic tricks: I make spoiled, self-centered guitarists and meter-challenged drummers sound like a tight band.

6. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    sorry, but advanced techniques like tapping or slapping wont impress girls, unless they're musicians....but they might pass you off as a show off. put a sock and on your cock and go out n play. sure will catch some attention

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado

+1 to that. Not sure you need the sock though.

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Right on bro, me too...;)

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I dunno about that, I bet there are loads of girls around who like a bit of slap bass, get the booty grooving!

10. Any technique that displays finger speed and dexterity will get a girl's attetion ;)

11. i concentrate on making good music...and when i say concentrate, i dont really mean that, i really mean that that is my main intention, sometimes the best music comes when your not concentrating.

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Good answer.

13. wschwark

wschwark

Jun 20, 2006
    Sidney, NE
    I know this is a bass-guitar thread but I do whip out the upright bass during around the 3rd hour of our set. The drummer and I do a little bit if a percussion solo where I just do a mix of slap patterns with his drum beat. Then I stop and let him go off for a little bit while I step up, and balance on the upright, coming back in slapping with my left foot extended straight out behind the neck of the bass. Sometimes I will do a couple shots while up there. Now THAT is what gets the girlies hot. Then I come in walking on a G minor and the guitarist comes in with some hot licks. You wouldn't believe how many people think I play a cello though :meh:

14. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I light my hair on fire while holding a freshly decapitated goat head in one hand and masturbate with the other hand.

:eek: :rolleyes: :help:

15. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

16. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    On occasion I throw up due to how S***** our music is.

17. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    lately i've been doing a lot of visual stuff along with playing. i've got a strobe light i plan to use for a song (mounted in the kick drum and triggered via footswitch), a green very bright LED in my guitar (which either me or my guitarist will use a bit), and i have all my effects mounted inside a seafoam green 1960s suitcase. i plan to spraypaint my ashdown's grille silver (add to the fact that it has blue speakers and a VU meter). i also recently got a Zvex fuzz factory, and i like getting a bit of its oscillation sounds in the mix.
    i also wear bellbottoms with a button down shirt (big collar and unbuttoned cuffs) and some dress shoes- with some dancin:p. my stuff is a lot like the Mars Volta's live theatrics, now that i think about it. mixing rock with funk, disco, new age, latin, dance, and ambient.

however, my band has yet to have more than 1 gig this year.:(

edit: i'm also trying to get my band to come up with some good 'jams' to lead from one song straight into the next.

18. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, once I lit my legs on fire and extinguished myself with pee.

Otherwise, I usually just make stupid faces while I play/sing. Like this:

Attached Files:

19. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Damn, those pictures are ridiculous.

20. I try to make eye contact with the crowd .