Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of stone is this?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    That looks like this stuff call "In Lace", it's not REALLY turquoise, but looks a lot like it. We've used it to fill on a headstock recently, and it looks pretty cool!

3. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i'd probably have said turqoise if i hadn't read that.

4. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Thanks Gard...where did you pick it up from?

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    We got it from Grizzly Tool, you can probably check their website or call them (don't have that info handy right now, sorry).

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    As you will see I can't spell it is torquoise...t

7. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I actually remember when that was posted that he said that he used epoxy and turquoise to fill the voids. I remember, mainly, because he offered some cheap if anyone wanted to buy, and I almost did.

8. You can buy crushed stone for inlay from lots of different sources. Google for it.

9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I searched earlier using some pretty dumb keywords :rolleyes:

I just did it again using crushed, stone, and inlay, and it came right up. One of those days...

10. Rayle_Trail

Rayle_Trail

Jun 14, 2004
    Brisbane
    omg, I was frothing at the mouth when I saw those pics, that is the best and most tasteful idea for filling in voids ive ever seen! talk about making a cheap burl look awesome again! Im not going to be able to sleep tonight... :hyper:
    Cheers for a good idea now implanted in my head!
    Raz

11. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Basschair....Sorry, I didn't see your PM....I've been spending less time online and more time with my art business.

The inlay is real turquoise which is crushed and ground with a coffee grinder to the desired coarsenes. it is then leveled in the void (which is under cut much the same way that a dentist would fill a tooth)....CA is then dripped onto the turquoise. ...Sand and then finish as you wish. I have used this technique under nitro and with oils.

If you need crushed turquoise, let me know.....I always have a good stash around.....Some Lapis or Siberian Jet too!......and much less expensive than you can get it for online!

I'm glad that you like the fill in trick!

12. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    BTW..."Inlace" seems to have an artificial look to it....at least to me. And for what you pay for it, you can get a 1/2lb of turquoise off of Ebay and make a simple crusher.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

tdog@nauticom.net

13. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Yup, I really dig it. I've sent you and email on the turquoise. Did you use a medium vis. CA, or a more thin type?

14. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    It is sharp looking! I still have that burl top I need to get some of that from you. SWEET!

....t

15. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    I usually use thin Ca on the initial application. Let the stone and CA cure without accelerator if at all possible...sometimes the curing will take place much too quickly with the accelerator and cause that terrible "hard foam" which really looks awful. Be patient or be sure to use a very mild accelerator.

You may find a few voids or depressions on the turquoise surface after you sand back to smooth and level....Here is where I use either a few drops of medium viscosity CA or a very powdery application of turquoise. You'll get the hang of it after you fill a few holes, but it will eat up som sandpaper. I tend to use Aluminum Oxide shop rolls.

BTW....You've Got Mail!

16. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    Okay... I'm new and stupid...

What does "CA" stand for?

17. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    super glue.

18. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    C A ... Super Glue

That makes sense. (clears throat)

Thanks.

19. CA stands for cyano-acrylate...aka "super glue"

20. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    :D

Yeah, I think I asked the same thing a while back. I refer to the cheap stuff as "super glue" and the good stuff for these apps. as CA.