What kind of strap do you use? Does any one use strap locks?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gandolf Bassist, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Plain soft leather

19 vote(s)
  2. Custom of some sort (specify)

3 vote(s)
  3. Nylon

8 vote(s)
  4. Other (specify)

5 vote(s)
  1. Hey everyone I didn't really know where to put this. I was just wondering what kind of strap everyone likes. I just got my new Les Paul 5 string and it weighs a LITTLE more than my old Ibanez, so its a little dooby on my shoulder, right now I am using a just a plain soft leather strap. Has any ony tried a double shoulder strap? And what kind of strap locks does any one use that arent HUGE?
  2. I forgot to do a search on this subject before I posted it. I apologize if any one has done a poll like this recently.
  3. I use a Levi's Leather strap with duck tape down the backside so the suede side won't stick to my shirt. And Dunlop locks.
  4. i use an ancient, wide leather strap that i stole from my next door neighbor when i got my bass. i wear it suede side out so it can slide on my shirt. dunlop locks (being huge is the POINT of straplocks, the strap can't fall off that way), but only on the horn, because i have two holes at the butt end of my strap and i switch the height of my bass for different things.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I use Planet Waves straps (the ones with the sliding pad thingy). And Dunlop strap locks.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i've got a big padded 3" wide nylon strap with the straplocks that came with my warwick.

it works well, and my shoulder doesn't hurt as much as it used to after a long gig.

7. I had a strap made out of tape for a while while a buddy borrowed my crappy nylon fender hunk of garbage... it was ok, but not adjustable...
  8. Bass gone Loco

Bass gone Loco

May 31, 2001
    ****... i need no strap. I sit down play that guitar and drink beer at it.
  9. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Some old leather strap and locks but I forgot what kind they are. I just know they'ye not dunlop.
  10. I use a fat Levy's leather strap, and plan on installing strap locks on my Ibanez as soon as I get another strap or 2. Or 3, if I get another bass... :D

I dunno if I'd wanna put locks on my Fender though. To me it's just one of those things that I kinda wanna keep the way it is. Also, the strap buttons on the Fender are slightly bigger than the Ibanez, so my strap doesn't come off nearly as much. That Ibanez's strap button may be sleek & cool looking, without looking out of place on the bass, but it's too darn small to work VERY effectively!
  11. For my Ibanez Ergodyne, I have this nylon strap with this cusion thing and plastic locks at the ends to hold the bass.

For my first bass, a black cheap nylon strap.

I'm searching for a new strap right now for my Warwick.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I use my Zon strap, it's deceptively comfortable, especially with boat anchors like my Ash L2000E;)
  13. if you want somethingthat is small i use di marzio strap locks that i got from mars. that work great and the strap is real thin yet comfortable.
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hard belt leather straps, suede side down so it sticks to me, dunlop strap locks.

good, manly way to hold my 16+ pound basses :D
  15. 2.5" wide black leather straps. Dunlop straplocks on all my basses. The guitarists I play with don't use them, and have dropped their damn guitars enough to sicken me. $10 (at the most) prevention. Not funny during a show. Besides, then you can do like Tobin from P roach and swing that big hunk of wood all the way around your body. (watch the video for Between angels and insects, now that's stage performance)

If you get straplocks, I'd say get the kind you can still put a non-straplock'd strap onto. That way if you happen to lose your strap (how? It's locked on the thing:) ) you can use your strap that you have stashed in your "Oh sh*t" bag that you bring to shows.

Good idea about the duct tape Pez, I've had a couple of nice shirts messed up by a strap before. I'll just use some black stage tape.

16. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    I put down other since my strap is nylon + foam, and Dunlop strap locks.
  17. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I use a clear plastic strap. Its even a little bit bouncy. Love it!
  18. On my P bass I have a really thick 2" nylon American Flag strap.

On my Jazz bass, I have a thin red 2" nylon strap

On my Strat, I have the same strap as on the jazz, but white.

And no straplocks. Ive only dropped the P bass, when I was imitating Fieldy.
  19. I have so cheap $2 rogue starp from musicians freind. I've used it for 2 years and hasn't failed me yet, it's nylon with some little plastic locks on it.
  20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    3-4" plain leather straps, cut so I can wear my bass high. And Schaller strap locks.