Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what kind of strap do you use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iceblinko, Jul 22, 2004.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    hey all. i'm looking into getting a good ol' sturdy strap. the one i have is god awful.. makes my p bass fly all over the place and feels like a damn seatbelt or something! i guess leather would be a good choice? what brand?... thanks all

xo tom

2. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Levy's

3. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Second that !! They are great and have many to choose from. I'm using a strap from probably 20 years ago and it is at least 3 in. wide. Wide straps rock and are less fatiguing.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

yah, i also have levy's straps, i colorcode them with my basses(my old black bass had a black one, then i got a dark red one for my dark red bass) and my guitar(cool blue pattern on the strap)

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I use a Razor Strap,,, wanna make sumtin of it? :eyebrow:

6. 3" wide Comfort Strapp. I like it. I like it a lot.

7. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I use the big Peavey strap, and I like it but it is expensive.

8. 3" Earth strap, red w/white music notes (SRV-style) for the red P-clone.

2" Earth strap, blue w/white lightning bolt (Tommy Shannon-style) for the blue Reverend Rumblefish XL.

3" Levy's strap, tan for the (yellowed) transparent white Hamer 2TEK CruiseBass.

3" Levy's strap, dark brown for the Olympic White w/shell pickguard fretless Fender Jazz Bass.

The Reverend is very light so the 2" strap works well but the 3" straps are, IMHO, necessary for the heavier instruments. I like to color coordinate the straps with the basses; audience members do notice and comment on it regularly. I don't know if Earth straps are being made any more but they are very high quality like the Levy's straps are. My Earth straps are almost 15 years old and will be around longer than I will.

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The free Ernie Ball nylon strap that came with my basses. I'm young, I gotta tough back ;)

10. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    best bass strapp ever!

Peace,
    JP

11. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    The Comfort Strapps are very nice. I also like the Kepur straps. They are like rubber and they are great for holding up bases that aren't perfectly balanced for you (I use one for my Dano because the neck is heavier than the body, heh). They also never fall of the pegs.

12. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I like to use these Planet Waves padded straps. I used to get shoulder pains when I would play for extended periods of time. But these straps took care of that.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That's what I use too. If you are talking about the ones with the sliding pad on them.

14. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    After realising a standard 2" guitar strap wasn't cutting it, I invested in the Planet Waves strap, but I found it to be too long, couldn't adjust it short enough.

Then I got the Fender Bass Neoprene Strap. That was okay, but it's made with Fender basses and the placement of their endpins in mine, which is different from my Spectors and I don't wish to move them.

So now I'm trying out the "short" comfort strap. So far, I'm finding it pretty comfortable.

Time wil tell...

15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I used to use that strap too. Pretty comfortable strap that isn't very expensive, then I bought this big fat leather strap that was supposed to be for some one but it was too big, so I took the little adjuster thing off and bolted the strap too my bass, it's a SUPER comfortable strap, worth the extra cash. It was a Franklin STrap

16. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have a collection of black 2" nylon straps. They're not the most comfortable, but they slide easily over my shoulder. That's important to me because I've scuffed up shirts when using other straps, such as cloth or leather. I know, some leather straps are very smooth nowadays, but nylon straps are so cheap I can keep one with each bass.

18. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    +1
    Just got a long comfort strapp for my new lakland 55-02D. (the new bass thread is probably on page 8 of the basses section by now :rolleyes: ). These straps are awesome. My lakie weighs 9.6pounds but w/ the strapp its light as a feather. Very, very comfortable.
    ~spots

19. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    3" wide Comfort Strapp. Made a big difference wearing my 55-02.

20. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    3" wide Planet Waves POLYPROPELYNE STRAPS...