What kind of strap locks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by linebacker51, Feb 16, 2003.

1. dunlop

47 vote(s)
  2. schaller

49 vote(s)
  3. other (specify)

5 vote(s)
  1. what kind do you use/like and why

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

After using Schallers on all basses for well over a decade, I've become (as of ~3 years ago) a huge fan of Dunlop Dual-Design. Much more secure, fewer maintenance issues, and a much better choice when used with an unlocked strap (the buttons have a bigger flange/narrower shaft).
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Schaller were the only ones available where I used to live, and they're ok enough to keep 'em.

Never trusted those staplocks.
  4. wow quick response thanks guys
  5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Schallers. I've got 'em on both of my basses.
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Dunlop - I've always felt that the actually mechanism is safer, and that their flush-mounted version make a bass look "streamlined". (although you lose the ability to use a standard strap like fuzzbass pointed out)
  7. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Having used both, I like the Dunlop system better. They are a b!tch to install, however. Haven't been able to play for a couple of days when the screwdriver I was using to press the circlip in slipped.:(
  8. DUNLOP! I currently have Schallers, and while they get the job done, they've slipped at least twice. Dunlop are much more secure and definately cooler looking.
  9. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Dunlop's, im back to using regualr strap buttons at the moment. My Schallers nut loosened and fell off at a gig, even though I checked it before playing. Almost droped my bass, but I cought it. My first gig, and the worst moment of my life, I had to play the whole show on one knee. I cried when I got home, I say Dunlop's
  10. Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    DiMarzio, most secure straplock on the market, period.
  11. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Dunlops, they are just more secure.
    (Even victor wooten uses them on the basses he flips over his head)
  12. Shellac

Feb 10, 2003
    I'm using Dunlop's "dual-design" Straplok system, they've done their job well. Easy to install, and has never came loose, ever.
  13. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I use traditional old slip-joint pliers to squeeze the clip on, piece of cake
  14. Dunlop - Never had a problem with them.
  15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Really both are fine products. Personally, I prefer the Schallers. Yes, I have used both, but now that I have made my decision, I put Schallers on all my basses allowing me to use any strap with any of my basses.

What should someone new to straplocks use? Whatever you feel like. Really the minor pros and cons don't give either brand a significant advantage. Judging from the voting, it appears that both styles are liked about equally.
  16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have Schaller's on every bass I own. I used to use Dunlop exclusivle until, on 2 seperate ocasions, the actual lock broke & thank goodness I had my hands on the bass or else.
  17. I'm a big fan of Schallers - Dunlop looked too complicated and fussy for my liking! Have used the DiMArzio style strap locks, and have a patterned strap on an acoutic I have. Also on one of my basses I just use the plasctic disc type of strap locks!

However, I feel much happier with the Schaller type!:)
  18. Actually, I use both, and they're both working just fine. I installed Dunlops on my Reverend Rumblefish a month or two ago, and my "new" Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz came with Schallers.