1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of strings are these?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by derridiandrift, Mar 5, 2010.

1. I hope someone can help me out. I broke the E string on my upright this afternoon while I was tuning my bass. I can't afford to buy a whole new set of strings so I'll try to buy one string from Upton or someone closer to home. I don't know what brand of strings these are. I think their are Spirocore strings but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me?

P3050003.gif

P3050002.gif

2. TMSP

TMSP

Feb 6, 2010
    Aveiro, Portugal
    Hello

This string is the D'Addario Helicore (I think it's Solo string).
    Hug.

3. TLR989

TLR989

Feb 24, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Yes that correct. That is a Helicore solo string.

4. Uh oh.

When I checked on the D'Addario web site it says the Helicore Solo strings are optimized for bowing in F# tuning. I play pizz and slap (we'll, I'm learning how to slap with Lee Rocker's video) and I use regular E tuning. I wonder if I should just change up the whole set now that I've blown one out.

Is the 'solo' set workable for my applications, or should I ditch them all start with something completely different now that I've killed the E?

5. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Helicore *pizzicato* string. They come in light, medium and heavy gauges, but not solo. To know the gauge you'd have to measure it or compare it with other strings,

6. Thanks to those of you put me onto D'Addario. I thought they were Thomastik. That helps immensely.

Now... I've found a colour chart on the D'Addario website. http://www.jdaddario.com/resources/JDCBOW/Files/BOPR_Silk_Color_Chart.pdf

Am I reading the D'Addario chart correctly? Because according to that chart, the D'Addario Hybrid set has purple silk with a gold spiral at the ball-end and the Pizzicato string has no silk. But I think they've made a mistake on the chart and all the samples on the right should be shifted down by one space. I can't imagine that they sell a string with no silk on it.

Anyone?

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    That table doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Orchestras are blue with a yellow stripe, hybrids are green and yellow, and the pizz are red and yellow. BTW, I was incorrect in my earlier post when I said they don't come in a solo gauge- it appears that they do.

8. The solo gauge is more brownish.
    What's on the pics is a pizzicato one.

9. I didn't realize that "solo" refers to the gauge. I get it. I'm new to the whole upright world.

10. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    That is a D'Addario Helicore Pizzicato Regular gauge. If I were you I would replace it with a Thomastik Spirocore E. D'Addario are fairly low priced strings, but I have also had breakage problems with them(although I do use the Hybrids on one of my basses). The Spirocores are practically indestructable, and you would be hard pressed to find a better E(for Jazz).

11. Thanks everyone, especially Adrian Juras. I took your advice and bought a Thomastik Spirocore E to replace the broken D'Addario string. I'll replace the A with a Spirocore string when it breaks or when I have the money to spare.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020