Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of strings did I play on?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dave120, Jun 27, 2005.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    So my band and I decided to go into Sam Ash today because our drummer needed new sticks. Well I went over to the bass section to check out what they had in. I always love the Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass that I doubt I'll ever afford.

So I picked up a Fender fretless bass for the first time and the first thing I noticed was that the strings didn't feel at all normal. They were really slick and felt almost like they had a plastic coating on them, I actually really liked them a lot since they were really easy on my fingers. The salesperson had no clue what kind they were, and the only thing I noticed was that they had a green silking on the bottom and no silking at the top around the tuners. Are these the kind of strings you always see on fretless basses? I really want a fretless now because I liked how smooth it felt and no horrid buzzing or anything to deal with.

2. Flatwound strings. Don't know the brand, but the type is a flatwound string.

3. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I think they're Fender brand flats. The Fender site shows the same bass with the same strings I played today.

Thanks!

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, fender has flats with the green silk dealy-ma-bobs.

5. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I never thought much about a fretless before I picked that one up. I was pretty impressed by how smooth and fast it is when there's no frets to worry about. It has the lines where the frets would be so I don't get lost. Even with the crappy MIM Fender setup I played that thing for like 20 minutes and loved it. Will flatwounds give that same thumping sound on a fretted bass as well? I liked playing slower, jazzier songs on them, but for rock out songs I'll stick to my rounds.

I'll probably pick up an SX fretless in the near future just to broaden my horizons a little. They can't be much worse than the typical Mexican Fenders that seem to always have crappy setups anyways.