1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of strings do jazzers use?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jazzerbone, Jul 25, 2007.

1. For those of you who play a lot of jazz on your electric, what kind of strings do you use?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jazz players use everything from new stainless roundwounds to filthy old flatwounds and everything in between. Don't try to pick out strings based on what others like. Pick them out based on what you like.

3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Good advice. If you have particular aspects of tone or feel, there's a lot of collective knowledge here that we can help steer you with.

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I have TI Jazz Flats on my MIM P-Bass with a foam mute under the strings against the bridge. If you check out my GP3 website you'll hear 5 song samples.

I also play double bass with Spirocore strings. I know the electric does not replace or substitute for the double bass, but this is the closest sound I've come to my upright sound (on electric).

Joe

5. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    fret-less electric = flats
    DB = flats
    fretted slab = rounds

I don't like playing fretted in Jazz. Makes it sound too "Dean Martin Show"

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005