what kind of strings for a Sting Ray?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 3, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Does anyone know, what kind of strings are on a new MM Sting Ray 5? I'm sure they're Ernie Ball's, but what kind, and what gauges?
  2. From the Ernie Ball faq site

I think they're pretty good strings. Full bodied sound that suits the bass very good.
  3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

If they're EB's, be prepared to buy a new set about every month :bag:
  4. Respect yourself & get some nickel DR's . . .Sunbeams or Lo-Riders :D
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Agreed :D :hyper:
  6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I agree with that as well. I did not care for the way SS strings sounded on my Musicman. I did not find a better NS string than the DR Sunbeams.
  7. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Do you DR lovers use the same gauges as the EB's (130-100-80-65-45)?
  8. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    DR doesn't make a set in that gauge. Off the top of my head... I think other than Ernie Ball, D'Addario is the only other maker who offers that gauge in a pre-packaged set. Too bad; it's my favorite 5 string gauge.

9. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've always used the DR mediums, it's .125-.105-.85-.65-.45 I really like a heavier B though, like Warwick's Black Label .135 is a really good B, but the DR's are great strings. I've used them with great results on my Sterling for two years.
  10. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Okay. I took the first step. I put on a set of D'Addario EXL-170's and set up the bass for the standard 125-105-85-65-45 strings. Now I can try the DR's without tearing my hair out (what little of it there is left, after doing two setups on the StingRay). :)
  11. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have been using DR Lo Riders on my Stingrays and Stingray 5's for years now and they seem to be a great match for those basses IMHO.
  12. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    LR SS are awesome strings.
  13. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I recently put some TI Jazz Flats on my stingray fretted 4. I like them so far, i think. I havn't actually had chance to try them in a live band situation as yet though, or on my "good" amp. Hopefully that day will come soon. They are still quite fresh and are supposed to improve with age, so i shall see what becomes of them.
  14. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I tried the DR Sunbeams. My take on them is they're a little squishier than the D'Addarios. They have less definition in the low midrange "thump" area, making them perhaps a little muddier for slapping. But they're excellent fingerstyle strings. They're very responsive, and they don't hurt the fingers. They sound best when I boost the low midrange on the amp up a notch.
  15. I have Sunbeams on my Sterling & love'em for slapping -nuetral/w/o EQ, they're very well balnced - not muddy at all. They ARE especially ideal for bending. Low tension & great feel. I prefer them to hi-beams & lo-riders & d'ads. It's ok to slap Sunbeams!! :hyper: They're not just for fretless!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    The best tone I've ever gotten from my Ray5 is with Elixer Nanowebs. Really deep tone, no mud and a much more refined top end. YMMV
  17. :hyper:
    Yup, they're on my SR5 as well (my other favorite string)
    :hyper: :hyper:
    med/light gauge
    :hyper: :bag: :bag: