Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Kind Of Strings For Police Tunes, (Pick)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Dec 18, 2001.

1. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hey Guys,

New bassist here, playing alot of early police songs, sting used a pick on a Fender Jazz. What do you recommend?

A) Lot of those tunes he's hammering away at an open E, so I figure I want some tension down there so things don't rattle.

b) I have big and strong hands, I don't really need, low string height or thin strings.

c) I would ideally like to find out what gauge sting used for those first three albums..live.

What do you think?

Klark Kent

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    During the Police years, Sting was a Rotosound endorser. I believe he used RS77 jazz bass flatwounds at first and then switched to RS66 swing bass roundwounds. Now he uses DR Lo-Riders.

3. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Cool!!! Thanks! I know its splittin hairs but when you say...."AT FIRST he was using..." when is at first, Outlandous tour, Regatta tour???

Klark Kent

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually he was NOT a J-bass player. He used various Precision, Ibanez Musician, Spector and Steinbergerfretted and fretless basses with the Police.

In addition to Rotosounds he also endorsed Supewound (a Rotosound offshoot) strings.

5. KlarkKent

KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    MMMMMM...I have pictures and video of him playing a Jazz, but you are right he used that Ibanez Fretless a lot live, do you happen to know what year/model it was?

Klark Kent

6. re. gauge, Sting used 40-95 Rotosound Swing bass roundwounds (not sure about the gauges of flats he used) he uses 40-100 DR strings now.

according to The Bass Book, Sting's Ibanez Musician fretless was the 1979 MC-900 model- it's on p.47/48.