Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what kind of strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jeremy mcgrath, Oct 7, 2004.

1. jeremy mcgrath

jeremy mcgrath

Oct 6, 2004
    i just got a fender jazz bass special fretless and i was wondering what kind of strings i should put on it right know it has some black coated strings there real soft but they dont sound good for what i play (chistian rock). I really like the rotasound swing strings they have a good metal sound but there rough as hell. What do you guys think i should put on it????????????

2. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    If you're concerned about fretboard wear but still would like a roundwound type sound, you should check into compression, or inverse, wound strings. Rotosound makes Solo Bass sets; SIT makes Silencers, Ken Smith makes Compressors... These strings are very similar to roundwounds but are not quite as harsh on your fingers or frets.

Tom

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    SIT Groundrounds! You can't go wrong. Flatwound feeling with a roundwound sound!

4. While I have not tried a lot of strings for fretless, I had one player I respect (and had tried many strings) that I should go with DR lowrider nickle roundwounds. They sound great to me.

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Funny, I was going to suggest some black nylons until you said the bass already had them.

6. jeremy mcgrath

jeremy mcgrath

Oct 6, 2004
    dont get me wrong i really like the black nylon strings and they look sweet cause the whole bass is black but the fret board and its real dark. I would keep them but they just dont have "that" sound that i want. but thanks for the input.do they sell all thoes strings u guys are talking about in music stores i live in tulsa ok