Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what kind of switch do I need for this and where can I get a diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dags, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Dags

Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    First my set up:
    Schecter Stiletto Elite 4
    2 Bartolini M34C humbuckers
    (coming soon) Bartolini NTBT 2 band EQ

I've got a mini-switch on my bass already that does outer coil/dual coils/inner coils but I don't use it much so I've decided to change the switch when I put in the NTBT pre. What I want is a 3-way switch that does series/mute/parallel. The series/parallel is to effect both pickups as a whole, so in series mode it would be one big 4-coil pickup and in parallel it would be like it is now. The only wiring diagrams I've seen are for series/parallel mods on a single pickup with 2 coils but this isn' what I'm looking for. So, some help from the intelligent people of Talk Bass would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I get the series-mode-one-giant-4-coil idea, but what do you mean "in parallel it would be like it is now"? since you now have three different switching options.

Oh geez, I could be getting this all wrong, but... I think you need to sum the pickup's output so your switching treats each as a whole. Question is, do you want each whole pup to be in series or parallel to start with?

I'm thinking a DP3T on-off-on would do, and treat each pup as a 2 wire (hardwired series or parallel for each individual pup). Can someone else jump in here? :confused:

Even though exactly what you mentioned might not be in there, these wiring diagrams in Guitar Electronics.com are cool to look through...

3. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Nevermind :rolleyes: Looks likes everyone coverd this in your earlier post

My new question is, would an on-off-on mute in the center position?

4. Dags

Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    From what I've been reading here I think the off position could work as a mute. And what I mean for the parallel mode is that my 2 pickups would be wired in parallel to eachother.

5. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Cool, have at it! :D My guess is an on-off-on is the switch to use, on-on-on would be the same as a gibson 3-way selector. Here's a series/parallel schem you could use (forgot where it came from, though) I know it's labeled push/pull, but it's the same as using a toggle.