What kind of Tobias is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Sep 18, 2006.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
  2. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    renegade

3. ScottyDaBodi

ScottyDaBodi

Aug 28, 2006
    NYC
    Has GIBSON written all over it...

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
  5. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    its not a Renegade i dont think. i wish i knew if its bolt on or neck through.

6. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I bet if you sent that link to Mike Tobias he would give you an answer. He's a very nice guy.

7. The first thought that came into my head was that it's either a "Model T" or "Standard", which were pre-Gibson basses built to Tobias specs by outside builders (the former in New England, the latter Japan) in the early '90s to try and catch up on the backlog of orders at the time. However, I'm not sure what the electronics were and if they match up to this. A employee-built model also isn't unheard of - members here own non-typical models that were constructed in that method.

I agree - Mr. Tobias is our best bet on an answer.

8. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Those are the only production models I think it could be also. I have a Renegade and it's not one of those.

9. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    If the auction is correct, and it is US made, it would be a Model T. It looks to be a neckthrough, with perhaps a 2 piece maple neck. The Standard was made in Japan, and clearly labeled as such. Also, the 24th fret position markers were 2 dots, unless customs were made, which I haven't heard. The model T was IIRC made by Pedulla, and if you look at a Pedulla you will note the same arrangement of dots for position markers. Either way, not Gibson, doubtless a nice bass if the condition is as good as it appears, and worth more than $400.

10. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Interesting you mentioned Pedulla, it looks like a 3 piece neck to me and with the maple wings and neck blank that isn't much wider than the fingerboard I was thinking it looked very Pedulla.

11. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic

4d_3.jpg

12. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i sent an email to the seller and he really doesnt know much about it. he said it is neck through. i asked him a couple more questions and he said he would send me more pics. ill let you all know what i hear, if you as interested as me that is. :)

13. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    If it was a 5 string I'd be looking for stuff to sell, I love the smaller thin neck Tobias designs.

14. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    here is the reply i got from mr. tobias himself. emailed me back within 5 minutes. ;)
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Hello Mark,

It is called a Model T American made for us but we did not make it. They sold for about 220 new and were only made in 1991 and 1992.

Peace,

Michael Tobias

15. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    220 as is $220? that doesn't sound right.

16. 1kinal

1kinal Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    probably $2200...

17. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    no. $220.00 new back in 1991 and 1992. there about the same quality as a toby from musicyo.com except these are made in america.

18. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

I don't know how he finds the time, but Mr Tobias has the quickest email turnaround I've ever seen. I don't think he sleeps. I like that he is so helpful, even about basses he hasn't produced in decades (or ever!). His basses aren't cheap, but they're great, with service to match. Unfortunately in my case my Tobias had no serial number, so I couldn't get an exact date for it, but i had an answer instantly.

19. My 1992 Bass Player Buyer's Guide has the list price of the Standards at $1,849, so I think Mr. Tobias might have confused the price with the list of the Killer-B and left off a zero. The Standards were the "Starter" Tobias' back in the day, but nowhere near the MusicYo Toby range and more to simply have a more "basic" model as well as to take some production pressure off his shop, which I believe had an 18-24 month wait at the time. I don't think the idea of selling at that pricepoint came around until the MTD years with the Kingston/Heir models.

If in good condition, this could be a steal of massive proportions.

20. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    From I have no idea what this is to slamming it on the same page. Lot of that going around these days :ninja:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021