What kind of Tobias is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Sep 18, 2006.

1. richardn517

richardn517

Feb 28, 2006
    Yeah but someone mentioned MUSICYO.COM. I found that site a about eight years ago and even their most expensive tobias was only about450 and they actually had the tobias emblem on the headstock and all.

2. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Middletown, Ohio
    uh????? What he said:rolleyes:

3. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Inactive

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Uh, the guy who mentioned musicyo is the one saying this bass is musicyo quality.

4. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Middletown, Ohio
    i dont think he is confused. the seller says it is a rare american made tobias. mr tobias said he had an outside american company mass produce a bass called a model t that cost around 220.00 new. i also think he would know.

5. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Uh, he don't know what he talk bout. :rolleyes:

So what made you slam these basses as musicyo quality? What are you basing that on? Especially considering you had no idea what it is a day ago.

6. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Middletown, Ohio
    i did a little research. im not slamming it at all. mr tobias told me that the pickups and preamp are the same quality as the ones at musicyo.com. he compared the 2. he said its a nice bass as are the ones from musicyo, there just not handmade quality. they sold for 220.00 in 1991 and 400.00 isnt a bad price for one today.

7. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    I smell BS

http://www.mtdbass.com/pages/company.html
    Short run by a fine builder in New England and he still sold them for $220?

Here's one review showing a price of $2000 Canadian
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Tobias/Model+T+5-string/10/1

And I wouldn't be arguing about the merits of handmade quality while playing your particular CNC choice ;)

8. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Middletown, Ohio
    whats does that mean?

9. The Penguin

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    Uh, what he said

10. I think you're confusing instruments lines & build times and pricing within your research and your conversations with Mr. Tobias and that a simple decimal point error is the cause of this confusion, because while you've "did a little research" I'm reading in front of me two BP Buyer's Guides ('92 - page 28 and '93 - page 61) that show the Standards as listing from $1,849 to $2,349, depending on amount of strings and options, as well as a full review in the April 1992 issue for a six-string that lists for $2,299. You can believe what you desire, but Tobias Basses never built an instrument that cost $220 new in 1992. Then as well as now the "starter bass" pricepoint has never been one any company Michael Tobias fronted has chased.

Fender Squire Precision and Jazz basses as well as the cheapest Ibanez bass cost over $220 in the time period we're discussing. Neither Tobias, MusicYo, or MTD has ever built a bass that sold for $220, period.

I honestly don't mean to be rude, but I was the first person to identify the Tobias in this thread, and I'm listing numerous sources to back up my facts. I have no doubt that I'm correct in this matter.

11. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    I think Ian is right. I would believe him unless you re-email Mr Tobias again and he says it's not a mistake. It's hard enough to find anything under $400 that is a neckthrough nowadays and I think there was quite a bit less competition back then, so it would not make any sense to have it under $250. And I think he would have said around $200 instead of $220. Now $2200 would make sense.

Thanks,
    Joe