1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of tone do Yamahas typically give?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Housefire, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Housefire

Housefire SUSPENDED

Aug 22, 2018
    I am looking for a bass with a more thumpy and generally deeper, round tone. I haven't gotten the opportunity to ever play a Yamaha.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't think you can categorize an entire brand's product line as having a particular tone. The right strings and amp settings will get you whatever thumpy, deep, round tone you want on any bass.

3. Housefire

Housefire SUSPENDED

Aug 22, 2018
    I
    I Agree but what about the pickups and where the pickups are located along with the preamp? I am just looking for a general idea

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They make a few dozen different basses. I understand your question but you're looking for generalizations that can't be quantified.

Ikkir, NKBassman, tfer and 8 others like this.
  5. Housefire

Housefire SUSPENDED

Aug 22, 2018
    Ok

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The question just doesn't really work with Yamaha. It's different for Musicman or Hofner. There are different models available but those brands are associated with particular tones that would be generally agreed upon. Not so much with Yamaha.

7. Yamaha runs from basic student beginner up to stuff like the Billy Sheehan sig etc.

Best to give people an idea of what sound you want and what your price range is and goals are, From there someone more familiar than i with Yamaha can give you some options

Housefire likes this.
  8. Housefire

Housefire SUSPENDED

Aug 22, 2018
    That is pretty much what I was wondering. I play Music Man mostly

9. Housefire

Housefire SUSPENDED

Aug 22, 2018
    Yeah it is basically what I put in the description - a rounder, deeper warmer tone.

10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's a product of strings and settings more than anything else, IMO. Your Musicman is capable of that.

Clutchcargo, Housefire and jd56hawk like this.
  11. TrustRod

TrustRod

Mar 13, 2016
    If a Yamaha has P or J pickups that look like a Fender it will generally sound like a good example of a Fender with those pickups. I think Yamaha is one of the best values for the amount you spend on them.

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That's a good question and I'll go one better: Which cost-conscious Yamaha offering(s) come close to providing the Nathan East-esque vibe without breaking the bank?

Riis

Housefire likes this.
  13. Housefire

Housefire SUSPENDED

Aug 22, 2018
    I can go up to $1K. What do you suggest?

14. diegom

diegom

Jun 18, 2008
    Some of my friends contend that the Yamaha BB, in general, is a ballsier Pbass. I, personally, like them more than Fenders.
    But again, there are many different models. Even MusicMan is not what we used to know. "The" MusicMan sound is the big HB in the sweet spot. There are now so many pickup/preamp combinations that there are MusicMan branded basses that do not sound like MusicMan!

You can have a Jazz sound, a Pbass sound, a Rickenbacker sound (because they have the one model, generally speaking), but Yamaha or Ibanez, I don't think they have a "sound"

YMMV.

Diego

15. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    This one caught my eye and the seller is a straight-shooter...send him a PM for the dope:

For Sale - Yamaha TRB 5 Made in Japan

Disclaimer: I'm not a shill but, on occasion, I will sell-out on the cheap.

Riis

Housefire likes this.
  16. Housefire

Housefire SUSPENDED

Aug 22, 2018
    That looks beautiful..should have mentioned I was looking for a 4...

17. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Played a Yamaha BB434 for a couple months. The tone was plenty fat, smooth, with nice rounded highs....using flats. It definitely has thump to it. I would agree that it is a “ballsier P Bass”, when you want it. Definitely a versatile bass.

58kites, obimark and diegom like this.
  18. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Is there something particular about Yamaha itself that you like?
    Or would any thumpy bass do?

Housefire likes this.
  19. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yamaha doesn't make 4's...and I don't know what I'm talking about. Watch a bunch of Nathan East / Eric Clapton videos for inspiration and buy the 5 banger.

Riis

Housefire likes this.
  20. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    DSCF8089.JPG
    I have this BBG5S model. Nobody's talking about it. While I played out, guys in the band prefer it over any other bass. Also, after one open air festival, guy came to me and said: "Damn that Lakland sounds incredible"... I payed it used some 16 years ago about $220 with case. That was good time on Ebay... Never loses tune. I have on it Yamaha H4050 strings (they don't make it anymore). Great strings.