1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Kind of Tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jnevi9nr, May 7, 2010.

1. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    With these specs, what kind of tone would you expect?

Swamp ash body
    3 piece Wenge neck
    Rosewood fingerboard
    Badass bridge 2
    aguilar OBP 3 preamp
    Lane poor MM style pickups

anyone know of any basses that have close to these specs? I know the lane poor is a stretch. do you see any negatives with these options?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hard to say. ash tends to suck out mids unless it's a really heavy peice of ash (sorry - :p), while wenge tends to be a mids monster. The combo might end up being a happy medium. Odd to see a rosewood board on a wenge neck - usually they just go with the wenge board as well, although i have seen maple. Rosewood tends to soften the attack a bit and sound a tad warmer.

IIRC lane poor pups arent as harsh as EMGs but i dont think they're as warm as barts, but i could be wrong.

the aggie preamp is boost only but a nice unit.

badass bridges are just that - aptly named.

what kind of bass we talking?

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The Aguilar OBP-3 is not boost-only, FYI.

I suspect it'll sound like a Fender/Warwick blend.

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    With the LP you should have plenty of top-end. The OBP-3 works well with that pickup.
    I have a Modulus with an LP soapbar and an OBP-3 and I mostly use it to cut highs and high-mids. I usually boost the bass just off of the detent as well.

I think it's going to sound good. I might go with a mahogany body instead of ash but that's just me.

5. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    thanks for the input folks. this is good stuff. i like to hear what you would do differently nad why, like the mahogany body or just going all wenge on the neck.

how much difference is there between wenge and rosewood fretboard?

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my bad. i thought it was the one that was essentially the same as the sadowsky with bass and treble boost.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Assuming this would be a bolt-on instrument (seems to be implied) rather than a neck-through, the bolt-on wenge neck with the swamp ash body should make this bass very punchy. The rosewood board should lend some additional warmth. The BadAss bridge should allow for some good sustain. And the OBP-3 preamp and the MusicMan-style pickups should generate a LOT of power and low end.

So, it should sound punchy, deep and powerful, with decent warmth as well as sustain. Except that you won't know for sure until you actually hear it... :smug:

MM

8. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    mystic, thats exactly what I am looking for: punchy, deep and powerful, with decent warmth as well as sustain!

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    No, that's the OBP-1 (B/T boost only). OBP-2 (B/T boost/cut). OBP-3 (B/M/T boost/cut).

:thumb:

10. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    anything else that I can do to enhance this bass?

11. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    play it

12. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    well, yeah, thats the plan.