what kind of tubes should i buy...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by erikwhitton, Oct 21, 2002.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    for my SVT III pro when it comes time to re-tube? For a good sound. Does anyone know what ampeg recommends?

and where should i buy them (cost)? i remember hearing aboout some good online retailers but i don't remember which.

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Some players swear by NOS tubes. These are new old stock from makers such as Mullard Telefunken GE etc. They are very expensive. The general rule of thumb is to stay away from Chinese valves.

I like some Sovteks (trial and error) and had a bad experience with Groove tubes or GT.

My limited experience with EH has been good (Mike Matthews became the US Sovtek importer when EH went belly up in the 80's).

I use Watford valves or Hotrox which are UK based. I've heard good things about Ruby Tubes and Lord Valve so mention those names to US valve users (hint) and see what happens.
  3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I assume you mean an SVT II pro. I just retubed my Aguilar DB 728 with Svetlana 6550c's. They sound good. Two matched quads cost me under $200 from Lord Valve. I highly recommend him as a tube source. He is very knowledgeable.