1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of tuner is this?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by two fingers, Jan 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Went into a store today. There was a set of these in a zip lock bag. The lady working there has no idea what they are. I can get them for a steal. But are they any good?

20170117_144410.

Edit: forgot to sub my own thread.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Looks like they were made by that famously cheap couple, Jen & Eric. ;)

3. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Not entirely unlike the stock Sire V7 tuners, fwiw, but also about a gazillion others. If they're a steal, probably worth it (my guess). FWIW, although disparaged by some here, my Sire tuners have been doing just fine for well over a year now.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Looks like a 24:1 bass tuner to me. If they're less than $20 and come with bushings, I'd be tempted even though I have nothing to put them on right now.

bholder likes this.
  5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Held up my Sire V7 to the pic, would need measurements to be sure, but looks virtually identical to me.

6. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    They are inexpensive and new. Thanks for the tip.

7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Thanks

8. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I didn't think to count the teeth. Scratch the Sires (19:1 if I counted right, but no way it's 24 as these clearly are).

9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I'm imagining someone sold them for cheap after replacing with upgrades...

10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    These are at a store new. The store is closing so everything must go. The owner recently died. According to his wife these were part of a parts order from a few months ago. He had them set out on the counter ready to install when he passed. But she has yet to find any paperwork as to where they came from.

bholder likes this.
  11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Sounds like it's hard to go wrong then. Sad for the owner, but someone's got to buy the stuff...

12. those are called "face value" tuning machines
    you buy them if they fit something you are building

13. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
  14. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA