What kind of "TWEETER" or "HORN" are you partial to?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Foster Horn

6 vote(s)
  2. Cast Bell Horn

6 vote(s)
  3. Piezo Tweeter

10 vote(s)
  1. Which is the "best" honr/tweeter??? What do you have? What do you prefer?

(I only listed the three, because thats all im familiar with...)
    Fender Bassman 100 and below

Cast Bell-

Fender Bassman 200 and up
  2. Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    pswr workingman's has a sieze, and i vote for no tweeter. Cause it sucks.
  3. you have a reason for that??? High end notes sound ****ty through a 15 in driver...am i wrong?
  4. I llike a shallow horn dome tweeter with a dedicated midrange driver and woofer. For me, this is a much better design than the typical horn tweeter/woofer combo. The only problems is that typically these designs are less effecient requiring more power to properly drive them.

Oh, but they do sound sweet! :)

5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    kinda like the swr triad?

15" + 10" + foster horn.

best single cab i've ever heard...

6. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    i'm very down with the swr triad. but i like the 8x8 so much, that's my choice. i think the swr henry uses a piezo tweeter. i think the thing about those is that the crossover point is higher...less clanky tweeter sound but still crisp. i could be wrong about the crossover thing though.
  7. what kind of tweeter do i like? none or one that is turned off.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that Jeff is talking more along the lines of an Acme Low B2 or an Epifani 3 way cab.
  9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    what exactly is the difference between the different types? And is there a difference between a horn and a tweeter or is that just two different ways of saying the same thing?
  10. Correct, Embellisher. I was talking about a 3-way system with a dome-type tweeter. I think the Triad is similar in function, but not in design. They use a horn for high frequencies where Acme and Epifany use dome tweeters, similar in function to the kind found in your stereo. With Acme, the frequency response curve is more like a stereo speaker. I understand the Acmes make a great PA speaker.

I wouldn't be good a explaining the technical differences between dome and horn tweeters. I do know systems with horns are generally much more efficient (easy) to drive and require less power than 3-way systems.

11. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I know there are better cabs out there today, but I'm really happy with my Eden 2-10T and 2-10XLT. Clean high end that doesn't break up.

They are punchy and have that hi-fi sound. I run it with a GK 1001rb.
  12. Both my SWR cabs have horns, and I turn both of them off! I hate that clicky treble sound.
  13. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    To me... Foster/Fostex are the sound I dig.

My Ampeg SVT410HE had one of those, most SWR´s have one, Peavey 410TX has one, etc etc.
    It is one of the most used because of its quality and dispersion.

The RedEye on my Carvin is very similar, but I dont think its a Fostex.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like a tweeter or horn that's not "obvious"... something that blends in with the overall sound. I can't say that the tweeters in my EA's have an identifible sound, it's just a very nice full range sound overall.
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

No, they could very well sound that way to you.

OTOH I have a B-100R and regularly use it with no limitations on playing style... the highs are very nice and smooth, to me.

People seem to forget that there was bright bass sound before the proliferation of tweeters;)
  16. How about an option for none?
  17. None

Much prefer cone drivers to screechy piezo tweeters.
  18. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Isn't there also the coax type that Bag End uses? Contrary to some I really like the Bag End's high end treatment. It appears very seamless. And I usually turn all other to the low or off position.
  19. If I wanted to hear a piezo, I'd play on my wrist watch!

Since I'm not, I might as well tell what I do play on. My main 1x12 cabs have hifi metal dome tweeters, along with 5" mids. My 1x15 cab don't have no tweeter, but has a 6 inch mid/highrange. And I'm working on 2x10 with a Beyma short horn bullet tweeter. Not shure how it sounds yet, as the cab ain't finished yet.

The hifi domes sound nicest. Piezos s*ck, deep horns sound too screechy and directional.
  20. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    What about those constant directivity horns in the Bergantino and Hartke 4200 cabs? Anyone have experience with those?