1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what kind of warmup should I do ??

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Funkin'_Bassist, Jan 13, 2003.

1. am playing next gig a kinnda a hard piece ( at least for me ) . it's jaco's chromatic fantasy ... I just wanna know what kind of warmup should I do before playing it live .... should I play alot before it .. or just a slight warmup ... it's just coz it doesn't always come right if I didn't play alot before it .. ( ppl usually say save yer energy for the gig ) .. .what do you think ??

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I would run it a few times - just to go into the gig with a bit of confidence. There really is no such thing as too much practice. There is bad practice (practice that does not really help) and good practice - but never too much.

They key is not to let mistakes in practice or performance effect your performance. Mistakes happen, you need to learn to embrace them and make a better performance because of them.

If your not making mistakes your not learning.

As for energy, I am sure when you take the stage, bass in hand, you'll feel the energy. It will be there

Mike