1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of Warwick RB would fit me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zack Irish, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Zack Irish

Zack Irish

Sep 16, 2008
    Currently I'm thinking about purchasing a Warwick Rockbass. I'm deciding between the Fortress or the Corvette. I like to play pretty much metal and the sound I like in my bass is something powerful when it hits the lows on the B-string and have Ryan Martini (Mudvayne) oriented higher tone (If that makes sense). But I'm not strictly metal, I do love to play bass lines by Jamiroquai. (Napolean dynamite Music.) I just want to be able to get a few opinions and information on both of them. I won't be able to go to a local store and try a Rock bass because the only close store is Guitar Center....And Guitar Center SUCKS.

2. Just because you wouldn't make a purchase from GC, doesn't mean you can't pop in and take the opportunity to try out the basses you're interested in. No one can tell you what's best for you...your hands and your ears can though. ;)

That said....personally, I'd shop e-bay and craigslist for a real 'wick. I did and ended up with a fantastic Thumb for $600.

And BTW, you sound like me. I'll jam out on some Jamiroquai and follow it up with some Mudvayne. Such tasty lines. :bassist:

3. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    To be honest for metal, and Rockbass theres only one answer.

Vampyre.

4. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I'm going to second what was said above. For your money, you're better off hitting up eBay or finding a used "real" Warwick. There won't be a huge price difference between a new Rockbass and a used Corvette or Thumb BO.

A new Rockbass will set you back $500-700 on average depending on the model. I'm not sure if eBay linking is kosher or not, but there are standard Corvettes with buyouts from $700 to $900 all over the first page of results I just got.

5. BrickIsRed

BrickIsRed

Sep 16, 2008
    You should try to look for a used Warwick Corvette or save up for one.

I have both a Rockbass Corvette and Warwick Corvette, and the alder in the Rockbass will really let you down no matter how hard you try to achieve a good tone. With the Rockbass, you will only get a "usable" tone that doesn't sound great for tapping and slapping.

6. Zack Irish

Zack Irish

Sep 16, 2008
    ==============================================

Do these Ebay basses seem "Real?"

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Warwick-Th...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bass-Guitar-War...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Warwick-Corvett...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

7. I don't know what you guys are talking about I hard gigged a Rockbass Fortress for 4-5 years. It had a tremendous sound and playability. it didn't have a "warwick" growl but a jazz bass style growl to it. It may not be a true Wick but it does belong in a good category.

8. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I got my 1997 Warwick Corvette Standard (means it has weng neck and fretboard as well as brass frets and adjust-a-nut) for $600 used my senior year of highschool (2002). It's a wonderful bass and IMO way better then the Rockbass line. I think this is due to the drastically different woods used in most of the rockbass line... they just don't seem to have that wick sound to me. Then again, I'm not to fond of the newer Wick stuff aside from $$ series.

YMMV

Go to guitar center and try them out, as said before in the thread, you don't have to purchase from there.

-Benny

9. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Yea. They're all "real."

For future reference, if its got that little W on the headstock, its a Warwick and not a Rockbass.

I'd suggest finding a Thumb and trying it out before you buy one though (if you decide on one of those). I personally think they sound much better than Corvettes (IMO!!!) but they definitely have their quirks...neck dive, a tree trunk for a neck and weight to be specific. That said, I own a Thumb BO 5 and love the thing.

Edit: I just looked at the add for the Thumb. Unless they started secretly chambering these things recently, 9.7 lbs. my @$%.

10. ElDunco

ElDunco has an addiction.

Aug 19, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    Employee Atomic Music Beltsville
    Warwicks are for sure a bass that you've got to try out and figure out which one you like. All of them have a lot of similarities but you can also get a lot of major differences. For instance I've played thumbs and just about everyone agrees (at least warwick people from what i've seen) will say they're a step up from corvettes. However any day of the week and you'll see a corvette in my hands before a thumb. In fact, the only other 'wick I really like is the infinity. Although that's a heavy beast.

11. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    And there it is, this is all you need to know...

12. Yeah, those e-Bay 'wicks are the real deal....but still, spend some time with a couple before you buy, play them for a while...especially if you're considering the Thumb.

It's a great bass, but my first month with mine was a love/hate relationship. I had been playing SoundGears for the past 10 years, so I was very used to the super playability of em, so switching to the Thumb was a fairly radical change. The neck was shaped differently, sat differently on a strap, pickup position was not where I'm used to anchoring, and it was a bit heavier.

That said...the tone was the real deal so I kept playing it. Now that I'm used to it, it feels normal and the SRs feel funny.

The 'vettes I've played are pretty standard in relation to other basses though. I wouldn't imagine there would be any 'break-in' time with one.

13. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    The Vette bubinga is on the heavy side. My 4 string vette is noticeably heavier than my ACG 5 string or K5. It's a great instrument though.

14. Zack Irish

Zack Irish

Sep 16, 2008
    Ah okay, thanks guys. Got pretty confused when people said "Real" at first, thought they meant that some were "Fake" somehow.

Thanks a ton!

:hyper::hyper::hyper: