1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What kind of wood is this G&L made of?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stuggi, May 10, 2006.

1. It's really confusing, I can't tell if this is a Alder or Ash body... Could someone help me? :D

[​IMG]

It's a G&L Tribute L-2000 if anyone wonder, and it's in perfect condition, it's just a crappy pic

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I'm going to guess alder, from looking at the grain...

3. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    The standard ones are basswood, the deluxe ones are swamp ash

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    swamp ash

5. What they said. That's ash.

6. Oh Dear, now I've got four choises, but to me it looks more like Ash...

7. Another vote for ash.

8. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

The solid colors are usually basswood right?

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That grain plainly looks like ash, not alder.

10. At least not on G & L, standard finishes use, according to the G & L site, alder, and premium finishes use ash, but this one don't really look like alder to me (it's a tobacco sunburst, so it should be alder)

11. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

It's a Tribute. The L2000 Standard Tribute comes in Basswood, the Premium Tribute is Swamp Ash. This is definately Swamp Ash. There is no option for Alder on the Tribute line.

12. Yup. The standard ones (basswood) also don't come in sunburst finish.

13. That's in fact pretty wierd, since the Tobacco Sunburst isn't a premium finish, but maybe it's diffferent with Tribute...

14. Oh, I meant that your L2000 is a premium model, and they come in either natural, cherryburst, sunburst, and blueburst(like mine). I think the standard model only comes in black now.

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

The info you are looking at on the G&L site is for US G&L's. Go to Instruments and click on the Tribute link on the bottom right. This will lead you to their info.