Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Kind Of Wood Is This?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SamHD, Jun 6, 2005.

1. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    I have a love-hate releationship with this bass. Anyway, it's a GTX-200 P-J bass which I've recently converted to fretless.

I can't figure out what type of wood the body is made out of though, and there is zero information on the web about this thing.

Can anyone tell what it is by looking at the wood grain? The bass is not very light, but it's not warwick heavy either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. I can't help you, but I like the bass!

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Grain looks like ash. I'd guess it's ash with a red stain.

4. Ash, I think. BTW, what do you love about this bass, & what do you hate?

5. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks guys. So far two for Ash, and partially me thinking it was Ash also.... Must be Ash then :eek:

Bassteban, What I love about the Bass is that this is the only one I've ever seen since I've owned it, making it somewhat unique in it's own cheap little way. I also like the sound (has interesting tones) after I changed the pups and pots.

I think what I hate about it is the neck, mainly the headstock.

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hate to throw a wrench in the werx, but I don't think it's ash. The grain looks way too open to me. I'd gues alder or something like that.

Here's some ash with the grain enhanced, I don't see any lines like that in the bass here.

[​IMG]

Here's another example. Jazz ash...

[​IMG]

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    IMO...could be Ash, cound be Alder, could even be Oak. The bigger question is, "how does it sound?". Looks neat in it's own special way, I have not seen alot of basses like it....

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    If it is definitely stained, I'd guess alder based on the grain. If not (and it doesn't look stained to me), I'd guess bubinga with some type of an oil finish. Looks a lot like a Warwick Thumb to me - just the wood grain/color; especially that picture of the back. Does it sound more open and airy, or more dark and punchy?

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    IMHO definitely stained alder with a satin finish. I've seen refin J's that look JUST like this. I don't think it looks much like Bubinga to me... not red enough.

10. Sam, I also hate that headstock. Vics, you're probably right- it is more alder-looking than ash-esque. Lowphat, I'm betting against oak. Gruuv, that bass looks too cheap(no offense; I'm pretty cheap myself :rolleyes: )to be bubinga, AFAIK, a somewhat 'exotic' wood. We'll probably never know, eh?

11. I have a natural Pbass that is Ash, and it has very open grain. It actually looks very much like this wood. Although I am in NO way an expert on wood, that would be my guess.

12. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    My guess would be alder as well based on the grain.

13. Alder gets my guess.

14. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Alder or soft eastern maple.

15. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Basswood? Looks very much like my cort C4. The finish is identical.

16. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I should have expanded a little on the finish type. The wood is stained and has a satin finish over it, just like vics mentioned. The picture makes it look more red (bubing-ish) than it really is. The color in reality is almost like mohogany or somthing dark like that.

I have an Ash Stringray, and I do notice a difference in the grain between the two, which is what made me wonder what type of wood it is.

When I remove the neck, the pocket is not bright wood color like I would imagine Ash to look like. The color is more of a subtle, like a 2x4 you'd find at a lumbar yard, which may make it Alder?

Not sure. The bass does sound good, and I may invest in a new neck for it.

17. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Yeah, good point. . . I probably should've paid more attention to the type of bass it is :meh: . Alder or the soft eastern maple is more likely, maple even moreso if it's colored like a 2x4.

18. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Hey, just realized you guys are calling my bass cheap!! :scowl:

Reality is... it is a cheapie :p

Maybe it's Maple. The reason I say that is because it's very hard wood. I've hit it, and it hasn't put any dings in it. There is a big dent in the back, but that was there when I picked it up at the pawn shop a long time ago. Maybe the original owner hit it with a hammer!

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, I know what you're talking about, I've seen those, as well, but I still think this grain looks different than the more open grain swamp ash pieces... at least that I've seen, anyway. Even in those open grain chunks, the classic ash ribs are still there... just farther apart. Otherwise, I'd personally question if it was really ash.