Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of wood is this?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    some kind of spalted wood, which wood i dont know.

2. the first one looks like spalted maple.. and the second like spalted sycamore or smething.. but i could be wrong.. as Jonki said it is defenayley some kind of spalted wood on both basses

3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    That there is Spalted Maple... A really nice wood, but the "spalt" part of it can be weak and warp if you are not careful with them. I worked for a manufacturer and we had a lot of trouble with Spalted Maple.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    A judgment made easier by the 'spalt' fragment in both of those file names. :smug:

5. would it make it stronger to use spalted wood as only a top wood and a have something stronger for the main part of the body? because i think it is just beautiful, but i dont want it to warp after a few years.. and what does "spalted" mean? isnt it something where they let the wood rot a little? can your spalt any wood?

6. Using it as a thin top is fine, so long as it is finished properly. You probably would not want to use spalted wood as the whole body.

Spalting is a by-product of rotting and it is caused by fungus.

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  8. Sweet, beautiful bass by the way..one other question though, why is one bass so much darker if they are both maple? is it stained?

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Not really sure.. May be. Mine just has a sain clearcoat finish on it. The other may have been stained..

10. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    It actually isnt stained. Bill Conklin said the wood was so far in the decaying process and was basically like working with dirt. I don't think it was stained though whatsoever. They didn't mention it at all when talking about it.

11. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    I believe spalted wood that has soft spots is usually treated with some kind of hardener. This may cause some change in color. But there is a vast range of colors available in maple anyway.