What kind of wood knobs for my six?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassturtle, Jun 8, 2005.

1. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Okay, so I've been talking today to TB's very own Nateo about making me a set of wood knobs for my Yamaha TRB6P. It's a bit of an odd bass though because the previous owner stripped the Trans blue finish and just put a dark stain on the maple body. I like it. I hate anything too shiney which is why I want to do away with the gold hardware.

So, what do you guys think? Should I go with a lighter maple-ish knob to add some woody accents or should I stick with something darker and more rosewood-y to blend in?

Can you tell the spots where I play? :D

EDIT: I put some chrome with amber top knobs on it for the time being, but I hate those...they look lame. Just thought I'd clarify what you're seeing the pic.
  2. You should try to match the fingerboard. That would be sweet.
  3. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Which is ebony....that would be nice.

4. +1

I'm about to have a bass with wood knobs that match the fingerboard. Brings it all together... IMO.
  5. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I don't know why I didn't think about ebony. Good idea, boys.

Anyone else? Feel free to post.
  6. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    What about maple or mahogany (stained to match the body as close as possible) with an ebony cap? That'd go well with the fingerboard and the neck lams.

7. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    What Nateo said or the ebony, but no light color knobs.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree.

You can be pimp without overdoing it.

How about flamed maple knobs, stained to match the bass, with ebony caps? I think that would look killer!
  9. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I think we have a wiener :D Nateo, I'll email ya.
  10. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Here's the pic that Nate just emailed me of the somewhat finished knobs. I think he said he might go at 'em with a little 0000 steel wool again, but you get the idea.

I love them and can't wait to get them installed on the bass. I'll take pics of that too.