Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kind of wood should I use...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Phil Mastro, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    To make a skateboard deck?

Okay, so this has absolutely nothing to do with luthery, but if I post some other section, i'll probably some retarded and uneducated answers (spalted maple all teh way d00d!) :rolleyes:. Although I have a feeling it won't get far here either... Mods feel free to move.

Anyhow, I want to build myself a longboard deck, mainly because they're expensive and I'm cheap. They're mostly made out of hardwood plywood from what I can see. But they're cupped. So I dunno if I should get some type of veneer and laminate it in a mold to make sure it's curved. Or laminate it on it's width and carve it to shape?What do you guys think?

In case I just wasted your time, I apologize.

Phil

2. mold, laminate, maple

lowsound

3. maple plank, scarf joint, carve, carve, carve.

4. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I was also thinking maple, scarf jointed, with a macassar ebony top and purpleheart stringers, maybe an F-hole or two for aerodynamics, perhaps a Aguilar pre just because, add some blinking LEDs and you'll be set!

5. don't forget the abalone inlays...skull and cross bones are obligatory on skateboards.

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Another option would be birch ply. My little brother had a skateboard with a birch ply deck

BTW, you could probably turn some wheels out of rosewood or something

7. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
  8. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Yeah, I was planning on a cruiser, nothing serious, just to roll around campus, go downtown and stuff. To impress da ladies, ya know? ;)

But seriously, thanks for the link.

9. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
  10. bound

bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    If you decide to make the deck, and are going to use fiberglass, feel free to PM me, I work with glass a lot, I make kayaks. There's a lot of cool stuff you can do with the finish, and if you get the right glass and resin, it will come out totally clear, so getting some cool veneer for the top and bottom would llok relly good. There's also the metalflake option, if you want something gaudy. :bassist:

11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Wow, Thanks man, some great stuff on there!

I especially like this jig:
    http://users.pandora.be/Toothless/Toothless/pages/instructions/press/press.html

Looks like something Hambone would build... :bag:
    Elaborate and efficient, I mean. ;)

I guess I've figured out what I'm going to be doing next.

12. i like that guy's design for a jig, but for a one time thing it seems a bit over the top,

personally, if i were going to do something like this, i would start by laminating sheets of birch together in a "U" or "V" shape (basically a very rough shape ofthe outcome of the board) and carve and sculpt it out from there by hand (the reason i would say to start with the rough shape is so that you arent exactly carving into the load bearing parts of the ply, just simply shaping the other pieces). once the basic shape is done you could do the design cutting from there and the roll the edges, finish it, and go......of course thats just what common sense tells me, and ive been up for almost 36 hours studying for finals, im just here to take a break for a bit