1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What kind of wood??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by madjazzbass, Jun 6, 2014.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Hey, I'm starting a new "project" Jazz Bass and I wanna leave it with a natural finish (no paint); I already know about Alder and Ash, but what other wood (nothing TOO exotic) would look AND sound good for a Jazz Bass? Ideas or suggestions, Thanks.

2. Igor Porto

Igor Porto Commercial User

Mar 6, 2013
    Master Luthier
    Ash looks and sounds great.

josiah goldfish and adi77 like this.
  3. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    hi, seen a few walnut JBs and Precisions (mostly MIJs) ..could be interesting.. best of luck

josiah goldfish and madjazzbass like this.
  4. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah , I was just looking at the Walnut bodies on the Warmoth site; I think I'm going with the Walnut; it says the sound is similar to maple, but not as bright, and I like that.

5. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    checked Ebay? lots of bass spares.. will try sending links

madjazzbass likes this.
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I absolutely hate how Warmoth describes the "tonal characteristics" of woods they use. They talk in absolutes, when the material is something as imperfect, and inconsistent as naturally growing woods. Yes there are tendencies with each species such as density, weight, and hardness, but there are also large variations away from those tendencies. For instance, mahogany is often considered a heavy wood, but I have used a blank one time that was about 3 pounds lighter than a poplar blank I had at the time. So when you are talking about so many variations within the same species on a structural level, there is absolutely no way anyone could accurately describe something as subtle as the tonal nuances that the wood will impart on the overall sound of a solid body, electric, instrument.

Personally, I feel wood should be chosen by how good it is structurally, and for its aesthetics above all else. Most of my builds are solid color, hot rod style guitars and basses, so I tend to use a lot of alder, because it is a light weight, solid wood with a tight grain that is easy to finish. My least favorite wood to work with is northern ash, because its heavy, the wide, hard/soft grain pattern makes cutting tummy and forearm cuts difficult because they tend to be wavy, and the deep pores make it hard to finish, therefor I don't use it.

madjazzbass likes this.
  7. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, I have an Ash body Fender Jazz Bass with a Maple neck, it's a really Bright sounding Bass.

8. redboy1975

redboy1975

Apr 24, 2011
    Sorrento
    I don't know about the whole walnut sounds like maple but different thing ... LOL ! If I wanted a fender body I would be on Ebay way before warmoth . Their a dime a dozen .

9. When in doubt choose spruce!

10. madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Yeah, I know there's a lot of J Bass bodies on eBay, I checked already. Right now I'm looking for one made of Walnut; it looks great and supposedly sounds very good as well. I have most of (if not all) the other parts to put together a real nice looking "FrankenJazz Bass"