Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kinda bass is this

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Any Body Know What Kind Of Bass This Is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Bassist in that picture is justin pearson from the locust, and many other bands, but that picture is in the locust.

So if anyone knwo what kind of bass that is or any info on it, is it good or not, where you can get one, any info, thank you

2. I've seen many guitars like that, but never a bass. I'll get back to you if I remember anything.

3. JPGT

JPGT

Aug 19, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    Me thinks it looks like an Ampeg Dan Armstrong Acrylic, but I could be wrong...

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  5. thank you

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It could be modified, and it is pretty easy to restore the luster to acrylic after a cut.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dan Armstrong bass. Heavy as hell but sound like a million bucks.

9. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    so are those ampegs for sale brand new? or was this old news and have since stopped reproduction? i wish they would reprodeuce those Baby basses. those were nice, if you knew how to mod it right.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Saw one at Bass Central a couple years ago.

11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i have a friend who has one disassembled in his house. he was going to give it to me but i lost touch with him about 6 years ago. nothing like missing a prime opportunity.

12. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I want bass like this, really want one :p

13. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I had one. Wonderful basses, espcially for recording. They have a real even sort of sound with no deadspots or peaks from the body because the material is really dense. The neck is maple so there might be some resonant peaks here and there, but you don't get anything but sustain from the body. You'd think, because it's basically plastic, that it would have a high end, brittle sort of sound, but the Lucy didn't. It was actually 'warm' sounding believe it or not.

It was also one of the first instruments with 24 frets if you take away the Longhorns.

Mine was right handed which was modified to lefty by adding another horn strap button and a nut. It looked suspiciously like the one in the photo actually :)

Naw, I've seen a few with the extra strap button hole. I guess lefties liked it because it was an even double cutaway and easy to flip over.

The bridge is just a smoothed arched piece of wood with a little brass rod on the underside which slides forward and back in a groove in the bridge plate to give you some amount of intonation adjustment. The bridge can also waggle around that rod so you can intonate the strings somewhat by angling it. You still wind up with a straight angle no matter what you do but it works pretty nicely.

The pickup is apparently (I found out after years) two pickups encased in potting compound, and the tone knob is actually a blend control, fading from one pup to the other.

All in all, I'd get another even though they never made lefty versions. It's short scale and I'm currently in love with short scales, so it would be perfect.

As far as finding them; you still can. Ampeg reintroduced them a few years back (in clear and smoke-clear) but then they dropped off again.

Anyhow, hope this helped :)

14. I thought I saw Geezer Butler using that bass ~25 yrs ago.

15. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    ampeg reissued those in the 90's. I'm sure that you could get one on eBAy

16. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    There's a couple on there right now in fact.

17. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You can get one from steve azola. He still makes 'em