1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what kinda bass is this??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Apr 22, 2006.

1. anybody on here happen to know what kind of bass he using in this video.

i know the music may not be everyone cup of tea on here, i just want to know what of bass hes using for this set, i've bever seen him use anything but jazz basses and g&l's before. thanks everyone

and just for the record, i personally dont like the song at all, but i do enjoy the band.

edit: this just happens to be my 666th post, hahaha.

2. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I don't know but my friend used to teach music to special-ed students in Pomona. I think some of his students grew up and started that band. It sounds like them anyway.

3. I'm not quite sure about the bass...i've only ever seen him with fenders. The headstock looks a little Carvin-y, but I don't think that's it.
    -Alex
    P.S. that song is a cover of an Aphex Twin song called Come to Daddy. It's kind of a joke.

4. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Well, the headstock is totally wrong, so it's probably not this, but:

From http://www.glguitars.com/news/index.asp

The Dillinger Escape Plan bassist Liam Wilson orders two new G&L basses

August 2005 - Liam Wilson beefs up his G&L arsenal with two new axes:
    Model: ASAT Bass
    Finish: Silver Metal Flake
    Neck: Rosewood fingerboard
    Model: L-2000
    Finish: Butterscotch blonde finish
    Neck: #8 dimensions, Maple fingerboard

5. i'll bet its that butterscotch one

actually, that looks like an ESP headstock...plus his name is listed on the ESP website as playing them

i looked for a bass with that headstock, but what made me think of ESP was this guitar
    [​IMG]

6. My guess is Carvin as well.

SRX, those guys can seriously play, even though their music is very special.

7. barthanatos

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    +1

Yeah. Plus, both guitarists (I kinda like the music, but can you say "wank"?) are pretty clearly playing ESP instruments, and are also listed on the ESP artists section.

I thought Carvin too, for a moment, but that headstock is pretty droopy.

8. ESP is definitely a good guess.
    -Alex

9. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    ESP Horizon 4 or LTD Cstyle (I don't think they make either anymore)

10. its some kind of ltd because if you look hard enough at a close up of one of the guiarist you can read the headstock. it probly a custom job or a discontinued model because i have never seen that body before.

11. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I agree that it's probably an ESP or LTD, but what does what kind of guitar is being used have to do with what the bass is?!?

12. barthanatos

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Oftentimes, musicians in a band will all have the same brand of instrument, especially if they are sponsored by an instrument manufacturer.

Additionally, if the guitarist's headstock says LTD, and the bass player's headstock looks like the guitarist's headstock... they're probably the same brand.

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    It looks like it could be a custom version of this ESP bass. Since they are sponsored by ESP he probably gets them made to his spec.

I guess I was a little harsh on them. Sorry to everyone that is in to them.

14. Yeah the recording is terrible. DEP are a crazy band, esp that guitarist in the blue shirt! I did sound for tehm once years ago and remember getting p-od about mics getting mistreated or something. My guess is pretty out there, it does not look unlike an
    alembic 13514_frontviewM. and at first I guessed a Schecter. But ESP/LTD is pretty good guess for the shards of glass tone. BTW I hate people that have a full flight case on a 200lb SVT cab. I mean really.

15. At first I thought it was a Carvin, but after I noticed that both of guitarists had ESP LTD's and the big LTD on the headstock of the bass I figured it would be an ESP LTD.

16. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
  17. yea i think its some kinda ESP/LTD since both guitarist are endorsed by them, probably the same with Liam. just maybe some custom job or discontinued thing, looks nice though.

and yea DEP really are a crazy tech band, and ben weinmen (the guitarist in the blue shirt) is insane with things like sweeping and somehow throwing jazz parts into crazy tech-metal. i really love their old stuff(calculating infinity,etc.) but i think their new stuff (miss machine) are just... yea. and there old singer was much much much better.

but whatever, thanks for all the insight guys.

18. Its definitely an ESP LTD C305.Not made any more but they come up on Ebay all the time.They were an updated model of ESP's Horizon model - made to order during the 90's.

19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The joke is on the people who paid money to hear that crap.

20. haxality

haxality

Feb 14, 2006
    Wow, flame a little harder, Turock.