what kinda basses you've found at Pawnshops and for how much?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Sep 2, 2003.

1. what kinda basses you've found at Pawnshops and for how much?

Just wondering cuz I keep hearing these awesome stories from buddies how they got some pretty damned good instruments at prices that are absurdly affordable...
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My 1980 Ric 4001 - $325, I think it was... :D
  3. '69 P-bass - $350.00
    '83 P-bass - $325.00
    '75 Gibson Ripper - $200.00
    '94 Carvin BB75 - $155.00
    ...you get the idea...
  4. Where are these pawnshops? Every time I go to a pawnshop, there's just lower end instruments from the past 10 years (mostly) in poor condition for too much money.
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    78 Jazz... $500
    Peavey Cirrus 5... $600
    1980 G&L L2000E... $275

and more;). I've also found killer deals on audio/video gear, tools, cds/dvds, etc.

6. Yep! My experience exactly. There are three pawn shops nearby and all I've ever seen is low-end stuff, most of it damaged to some degree. They always seem to want about $100.00US more than what I've seen listed online.
  7. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    I've picked up several for pretty cheap - I've a Fender MIJ P-bass that I picked up for $175; a Squire J made in the early 80's for $125; a Yamaha BB300 for $90 - you just have to keep looking, preferably in a major city, but the first two I picked up in a military town.
  8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I find that many pawn shops Ebay any really nice or expensive basses without even bothering to display them on the floor. The days of pawnbrokers not knowing what they have are long gone.

I grabbed a Washburn Status copy for $250. I dig it.
  9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    £100 (150 dollars?) for a superb Japanese Fender '62 reissue jazz in sunburst.
  10. I picked up a Peavey fretless Foundation with gig bag for $150 a few years back and my buddy just got a MIJ Squier P-Bass with a gig bag for $80. The key is to know what you want and how much you're willing to pay for it. Pawn shops will ALWAYS deal with you...ALWAYS.
  11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.

At my local shop, I once saw an Alembic 4-string for about 1500.00 (not a good deal), a Tobias Growler 5 that was OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced and a Tacoma Thunderchief for $450.00 (no electronics, though).
  12. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Fender Jazz Bass Special-$189
    Sunn Coliseum-300 head w/Hartke 4.5XL-$219
    Roland Juno-2 -$299

The Sunn/Hartke setup I got at CashAmerica
    The others at B&B Pawn, Ft. Wayne,IN
  13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i got ripped off for a piece of crap quatro in a pawn shop many, many, years ago. payed $75 and the neck was destroyed (warped) - didn't know it at the time i bought it cuz i was a dumb kid. i thought the instrument was a one of a kind also cuz i had never seen one....

sold it last year for the same price at a garage sale due to the fact that there were 2 women fighting and haggling over it. not sure why. i have a clear conscience because the sale was from my house, if she was unhappy i'd have given her money back.

alrite, i feel a liiiiittttlle guilty.
  14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My Gibson '63 EB3 came form a pawnshop in Roxbury
    Mass. I paid $125 for it in 1977, which was fair, but not a great price at that time. Wish I had bought 3...