Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What kinda strings for punk sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassgurly26, Sep 1, 2002.

1. bassgurly26

bassgurly26

Aug 30, 2002
    Chardon, Ohio
    i have a fender p-bass now what kind of strings would be best if i'm trying to achieve a punk sound, more of a hardcore punk sound. flatwound or roundwound? nickel or steel? what brand is the longest lasting and the best quality, u get my drift. i'm really new to this whole thing. thanx!

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hrm...the inevitable "what are the best strings" question.

because you're new, i'll let it slide i guess....mama cass will probably lock this though and tell you to do a search ;)

anyways, punk is normally a roundwound deal, and i guess stainless strings. but i wouldn't worry so much about that. the ONLY TRUE WAY to find what is the best string FOR YOU is to buy a set and try them out for a while. if you like 'em, keep em. if not, try again.

otherwise a simpler but less effective method is to find out what bassist plays a bass like yours and has a tone you like, and then find out what strings they use.

but don't mind me, i couldn't rock if my name was Gibralter.

3. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    well I play punk rock and I've been using ernie ball regular slinky (guage45-105) pure nickel strings on my jazz bass. but like said before, stainless strings will give you more punch...look into those if your not sure whats right for you yet