What lacquer to finish a neck back?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kikegg, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Hi all, I think this is the best forum to ask this.

I've a Squier PJ (Affinity w/alder body) which sounds really nice but its neck is "raw", no lacquer no nothing. I'm used to the Fender (HW-1/Japan/etc...) finish and feel. That said, the problem with this neck is that I feel it "sticky". My hand does not run smooth as with a lacquered one (i.e. my american Highway-1)... so...

1) What kind of lacquer/varnish (preferably easy to find/standard) could I use to achieve that Fender finish?
    2) Should it be high gloss or satin is ok?

I've experience with plastic modeling so my first thought was to airbrush gloss acrylic clear in thin layers but sincerely I don't know if it's right or wrong.

Any tip/suggestion/tutorial welcomed!
    Thanks.

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i've had good luck applying gun oil on bare necks and it's super easy and doesn't involve spraying

Scoops likes this.
  3. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks, I'm going to search here in Talkbass, as for me the gun oil is in terra incognita :)

mpdd likes this.
  4. Look for Tru-oil. That, or something similar, is what some of the bigger manufacturers (Music Man?) use when they say an oiled neck. Really easy to apply and can be buffed up to a fairly gloss sheen.

There's other options and you can even make your own Tru-oil equivalent. If you're looking for quick and easy Walmart, at least around here, has the small bottles in the sporting goods section.

mpdd likes this.
  5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I'm not sure how many Walmarts are in Spain, but in case there aren't any, he can use any clear polyurethane that he can find locally. Satin would work perfectly on the back and it can be buffed up to a gloss on the front of the headstock as necessary... :)

Kikegg likes this.
  6. I put a few coats of varnish on my bass neck, sanded to satin with 600 sandpaper, then applied furniture oil. Feels good. However, the neck is as thick as a baseball bat, so I'm thinking of rasping it down a bit. Building the courage at the moment.

7. Kikegg

Kikegg

Mar 3, 2011
    Madrid, Spain
    Thanks all. As Beej noted there are near zero Walmarts here in Spain, but there's no problem, it seems Amazon (Spain) carries equivalents and they also have satin varnishes and so on. I'll read a little more before trying it.

Thanks all for your input :thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    Behlen Stringed Instrument Lacquer or whatever your local luthiers are using for a hard finish.

9. My bad. I didn't look at Kikegg's location.

Yeah, any hard drying oil / poly finish that builds up should do ya right.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021