1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What larger pickup to install in neck position Roscoe LG3000 ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jibreel, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I almost sold this bass recently but realized I really like it and am keeping it. I use the neck pickup exclusively. It has a Classic Bass Bart soapbar, not the Roscoe wound Bart.

I am wanting to perhaps install a larger pickup [MM ?] preferably quad coil to have the option for additional tonalities and tapping etc. Being large would be of help so that it could fill in and eclipse the slanted original pickup route. The new pickup would not be slanted.

I have "modded" more basses than I should have, searching for the magical tone :bag: :bag:. Money lost always of course:help:

I have modded my Roscoe fretless bass by moving the neck pickup next to the bridge pickup and I freaking LOVE it.

I do like the sound of the CB Barts and do not want any pickups that are to bassy. There are a number of Bart MM pickups but want to know of others that would be in that same CB tonal palette. Thanks for any suggestions !

DSC02092_zpsbd1fa15a.

2. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Think I found it:

MV52CBJD(3) - Quad Coil, Classic Bass. Two CBJD (jazz pickups) in one shell. Allows for humcancelling split coil operation.

"Classic Bass" CB series bass pickups feature an extended and more resonant frequency range. They have far more "air" and definition at the top without sacrificing lows and low mids. They are cast in epoxy to remove unwanted feedback and microphonics.

Length = 112mm ( 4.39" )

Width = 49mm ( 1.93" )

This would perfectly fill in the space of the slanted pickup.

But is it wound for bridge position or neck position ?

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    have you posed this question in the Roscoe sponsored forum? I bet you'd get some good feedback there.

4. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    None of those guys are into modding :cool: I am posting here because I am just wanting to get recommendations on neck position pickups that would fit.

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    In that case I really like the sound of Nordstrand Big Splits in the neck position. You obviously don't get to coil split but it's such a good, ballsy sound I wouldn't care. The big single sounds even better IMO but now you're talking about a true single coil which means noise becomes a factor in some settings.

Another option would be a neo pickup by SGD. Those seem to be well received by everyone who tries them.

6. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I have always wanted to try the Big Splits but I need to stay in the bart classic bass tonal range.

7. GMSweet

GMSweet

Oct 12, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Would you be squaring off the pickup or leaving it slanted? The MV52CBJD(3) is roughly 4 21/32" diagonally. I had one in my Stambaugh located more towards the bridge than a traditional MM location. I think it would be better closer to the neck especially with the possibility of splitting the coils. The pickup is essentially two CBJD-3 pickups in the same case which equal two bright CB jazz pickups. I ran mine North/Parallel/South for switching which seemed to work best for me. The south coil, while being located just about in the 60's jazz location was still too thin for me when isolated.

I moved back to a pair of X45 original series deep tones and have been happy. If you need any other measurements, let me know; I still have the pickup.

I hope this helps.

Matt

8. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Hi Matt,

I would be squaring it off so it would be a perfect size. However, now that you say that they are the "bright" version, that could doom it for me. I need the standard CB tonal range, not deep or bright. Thanks again for the info !

9. GMSweet

GMSweet

Oct 12, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah. When I asked about the layout, the foks at BBG indicated that when dual-inline split coils are run together, they can be dark. When I tested them in series (totally opposite direction from me tonally) I could understand what they were getting at because they maintained the CB edge to them. I would've liked it better if they had released the pickup with CBJD1 structures.