1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What length short scale for Squire Jaguar Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marc Lutz, May 24, 2012.

1. Marc Lutz

Marc Lutz

Nov 4, 2011
    Time to change my strings for my Fender Squire Jaguar Short scale Bass, do I need to go Medium scale or can I use long scale without danger of windings coming undune.

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    That's a 30" scale bass with a regular Fender bridge that loads through the bridge, correct?

If so, short scale strings will work fine. Any brand.

3. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I would go with medium scale, just to be safe.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Its short...

But if you ever wanted to make exactly sure, put a marking just past the nut on a string, remove the string and measure from Ball End to Silk. If the marking is within 32" then its short scale. within 34" its Medium, 36 or more Long Scale, 38 extra long, 40, extra long other brands...

5. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    I think what he is trying to say is can he use standard (long) scale strings on a short scale bass.

6. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    In my experience, no. With a long scale string you'll likely be trying to get the full thickness wrapped portion of the string into the tuner, and it just doesn't work well. Just buy short scale strings, there's no reason not to

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    No. Use Short Scale Fender Strings. They're made for this bass, and the Mustang, and the Music Master, and the Bronco, and....
    http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0735250403

8. I put short scale GHS Bass Boomers on mine. They worked fine.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've done that with no problems using D'Addario and Fender longscale strings, in fact one of my shortscales is still strung with longscale D'Addario Chromes.

However, I did have a problem with a Labella longscale E string core breaking when wrapped around the tuner post of a shortscale.

Right now I'm using a mixed set on my Squier Jaguar SS. It has E/A from shortscale set of Labella tapewounds and a D/G from a longscale set. The D from the shortscale set only gets a couple of wraps around the post but it's sufficient, however the G from the shortscale set barely wraps around at all. I've seen where others here have used it but I prefer to use the longscale for the D/G to get more wraps around the posts, especially since I had some takeoffs laying around doing nothing.

10. I have a really short-scale bass instrument (26" = 660mm) and I use a 0.135" string for my E1. Unfortunately, the brand and model I like is available only in the regular "long" (not even "medium") length. Because I have a slotted head, i.e., a classical guitar head, on my bass, I can get away with more winding, but I need to be careful not to keep winding around the post when its full, otherwise I can damage my tuners—even pull them out of position in the head. It's better for me to overlap the first layer of strings than do that, even though that's not preferred either, but I don't have a choice there. (Only the silk tip will go into the post hole; the vibrating part of the string is too heavy a gauge for for the post hole.) I haven't really had a problem with overlapping like that—it may take a day or two longer for a new string to settle in, but eventually it does.