1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What less than $100 can buy you today vs. 30 years ago...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smcd, Jul 31, 2012.

1. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I was reading this thread and it struck me.... $40 for a nice used Yamaha RBX170?? That's just nuts! Look at this thing -

[​IMG]

I know it's nothing special, but man, the equivalent of $40 in today's money is $13 in 1979!! 13 bucks!! You couldn't buy the worst bass in the world for $13 in 1979. And this Yamaha is better than everything available under $200 new in the 70's and 80's.

What's crazy is that $40 for this bass is not unusual at all. You can get all kinds of deals on used basses on CL right around this price range. It's impossible not to be able to afford a decent instrument today.

2. the market on used basses is crazy these days. People asking vintage prices for 80's Fenders. Really awesome basses from the 90's going for nothing.
    brand new imports are often cheaper than and better quality than 10 and 15 year old used basses. So starter basses are worth almost nothing used.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    You said it! I just bought a used Ibanez GSR206 for $200. Sure it's just a plain old black bass but it's two band active, SIX STRING! Plays like an absolute dream and the TONE is absolutely amazing! Back when I started out you couldn't even buy a 6 string and nothing was active. I paid $100 and got the worst mystery wood, one hummy pickup, four-banger you ever saw.

Hey back then I'd have run over my own grandmother for a bass like this Ibanez that to me now is just a junk 6 string "bar bass"!

4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    That's because the look is unfashionable, and I don't honestly don't see it returning.

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    What 90's look is unfashionable? In basses, specifically.

A few years back I thought the pointy headstock look would never come back. But it has.

6. This is a common philosophy which has served those who do not hold this view very well over the years.

I buy a tool to do a job, unless it is hideous or uncomfortable, I don't really care too much as long as it does its job well.

7. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    The look of the bass in the OP that you posted. Not that I know much about Yammie basses, and maybe that bass isn't from the 90's, but I'd call that a 90's look. It was short lived, even if they still have a following, and kids ain't tryna eff with that.

8. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA

90's look? Maybe. But the RBX is still available new, so it never really went away.

[​IMG]

9. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    The model never having went away doesn't mean that it's in. Maybe it'll make a comeback. What do I know? :meh: I just remember buying a Ibby Soundgear in '94 and tiring of its looks by '97 (actually before), when I switched to traditional styled instruments. Things keep heading that direction, too.

Which pointy headstock look were you talking about, btw?

10. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    Looks or not, Yamaha makes a pretty solid instrument!

11. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    Here's my $15 bass that had only 2 tuners, a broken pickguard and a crack in the body. As near as I can tell, it's from around '72, before aftermarket Precision pickups. Yard sale product!

12. landau roof

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I'm not dissing Yamahas, by any means. I know they make great instruments. Just stating why such great players can be had so cheaply.

Not that I've ever played one, but based on appearance alone, I'd be happy to be seen on stage with one of these.

18898_12073_1.

Diff'rent Strokes.

13. First I must say almost everything Yamaha makes is at least good if not great whether you like the style or not is another question. PS my Yamaha upright grand Disclavier is a stunningly great Piano that compares to a Steinway.
    Second. Times are tough all over. no one has much money and used prices have litteraly crashed. My vintage Guitar amp collection is worth AT LEAST 30-40% less than it was just 2 or 3 yrs ago.
    Last night I saw an SX P-Bass for $40 on CL. I got a Cherry Fender MIJ Cowboy Bass for $120. A Mesa Boggie for $250! and several more.
    I am not looking forward to selling off my stuff for pennies on the dollar but may have to after being unemployed for 4 yrs.....yes times are tough son.

peace kirk

14. KodyAudette

KodyAudette

Apr 30, 2012
    Albuquerque
    Yep, great bass for the price. I use one all the time, even though it's not my most versatile bass it puts up with everything I put it through ( I play in several bands some of whom tune way down, others that don't so I'm constantly retuning, adjusting intonation, switching string gauge, all manner of abuse). I'd certainly buy another one.

Another brand that I've actually been really appreciating at this price point is Rogue. I bought a 4 string Rogue fretless for $80 and to be honest once I set it up it played and sounded great! I think the same bass retails for like $130 new. At a price like that I can buy two or three for the price of one other bass.

15. rfslick

rfslick

Dec 31, 2008
    Benicia, CA. USA
    +1 on the Rogue. I wish that kind of quality was available in '65 when I bought my Knox from Montgomery Ward! I've owned and played a 205 pro, 2 405 pros, 2 VB 100's. All worked great.

16. grvthang

grvthang

Feb 6, 2012
    Brooklyn
    My first electric guitar cost $75 new in 1965 (ok, that's more like 47 years ago). It was an unplayable piece of crap. But I also remember that my next guitar, in that same year, was a used Gretsch Anniversary model that cost $50 that I could probably get $2k for today from some investor.

You also need to remember that $100 in 1982 is like $237 today (or that $100 today is like spending $42 in '82).

But your point is well taken - the bang-for-the-buck of cheaper instruments is higher than ever.

17. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I bought my first nice bass in 1977. A brand new Fender P Bass for the huge amount of $300!

18. How'd you decide that $14 in '79 is $40 now?

19. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
  20. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I have to agree. I would say basses are about 5x more expensive today.