1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What level of skill should I have when using your courses?

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by leamdav, Sep 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. leamdav

leamdav Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Bettendorf, IA
    I have recently come upon your Vlog and video lesson. I love them. However some of the books, like the practice routine one doesn't have tab with it. I can't really read music for bass. I played piano and tuba for years, so I do know how to read music, so it could be done but would take me longer on the bass.

With all that said, what level of skill should a person possibly have to start your courses. My musical theory skills are very low.

2. Green1

Green1

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Even if you aren't a strong sight reader, the exercises in the practice routine should be attainable. I usually figure out the notes and look at his hand position and am able to figure it out. Good luck!!

leamdav likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think Janek is doing you a favor by not putting tab in his books. It costs sales to leave them out..I've heard folks who write instructional books say that books with tab grossly outsell the ones without it, and that's the reason it's in there. But it is so much better in the long run to skip tab and just read music. If you already know how to read music, you're 85% there...figuring it out for bass is not that hard. Start at a string's lowest note and it's a half step up per fret. Bam. Done.

4. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    Well said sir!

dralionux and JimmyM like this.