1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What machine does this??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Linas, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I am just thinking for a future project, so this situation is hypotetical.

Ok, say i have a body core of ash, and i want to put koa back and front lamanates on. I have one piece of koa 14x24x4". How can i cut this piece of woods height in half longwise. So i end up wiht 2 pieces of wood 14x24x2" Is this possible or do i just have to buy 2 thinner pieces of wood and plane em.

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Possible? Sure.
    You just need to find somebody that has a horisontal bandsaw (a vertical will not be reliable for that height).
    Or, you could find a sawmill with huge-but-thin circular saws. Which should be "readily available" in redwood-land:eyebrow:

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I have a place near me that has done that for me. In my case it was Bubinga 14" wide. You will be lucky if you end up with 1-34" thick pieces though. Find out if there is a place that makes house moulding around you. They have lots of nasty wood working machines. Good luck. ....

4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Also, the process is called resawing. Ask your local wood / cabinet places if they do any resawing or if they know anyone who does, then go from there.

Another option is to send the wood to one of our friendly online wood dealers. I'm sure Larry over at Gallery Hardwoods would resaw for you for a price, just send him an email. I think Cerb might have had this done, so he might have a bit more insight.

-Nate

5. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Larry did resaw a piece of redwood for me that I snagged from eBay. I actually had the seller ship it to him and he shipped it here. He would certainly be the first person to email.

6. Holmann

Holmann

Dec 23, 2005
    Ashland, WI
    Standard practice is to bookmatch your top & back laminates, although you certainly don't have to. If you went that route, you could rip your board so that you had two 7x24x4 pieces. Any cabinet shop (and most weekend hobbyists) can resaw a seven inch piece.

7. Scott French

Scott French Dude

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    If that 4" thick chunk of koa is nice and figured it would be worth the money to send it out to Borson Precision Resaw. The cost ads up, but nice koa is worth a lot. You can get a lot of 1/4" tops out of a 4" thick piece.
    http://www.borsonresaw.com/

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Call your local lumber supplier, and ask if they can "Re-saw" the piece for you. Most Lumberyards charge $10 for this service.

9. Scott French

Scott French Dude

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Where are these places!? Mine charges $50 and a whole lot of grief. :(

10. kd_rome

kd_rome

Aug 23, 2004
    If you go to a local wood shop they'll do it for you, I've no idea of how much $ they'll ask you, but consider that you won't have 2 pieces of 2" each, but a little less depending on the thickness of the blade.
    I did it before, just check if it's cheaper than get a second board and plan the first one down!