1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What made you decide to play bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tdizzle, Nov 20, 2010.

1. tdizzle

tdizzle

Aug 3, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    Was it a magical moment of discovery? Did you switch from another instrument? What was the first bass you ever played?

I remember my first time. It was on a Gibson SG short scale. I was playing to a song on the stereo. I must have been 10 years old. I could only play one note, but it was in perfect rhythm. That's when I knew.

Some time before that my uncle (a musician) took me to the park to watch a band play. He told me to look at the band and decide what instrument I wanted to play. The bass player was playing a sunburst blocked and bound Jazz Bass with all the chrome pieces attached. I pointed to him and said, "That instrument!"

2. PrimusPanda

PrimusPanda

Nov 18, 2010
    Ohio
    I fell in love with the bass after listening to the amazing bass lines from The Killers and Tool and then decided it was my instrument after I had heard Primus. I play the tuba and love the deep power from the basslines in music. Basses are so versatile and can be used in all genres. I knew i had to have the instrument in my hands after a first glance of the beautiful look of a white jazz bass.

3. I've played guitar for 11 years, and in such time played bass on many occasions. About 6 months ago I decided to buy a cheap bass to have around the house for recordings, whatever. Having one around made me practice and work up basslines for my songs, and eventually something clicked, and I have been playing bass primarily since this summer

4. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    I was the tallest one in our band and the bass player left. I was 14-15.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Iron Maiden and Duran Duran.

6. Tusec

Tusec

Jan 10, 2010
    I picked up bass after putting a home studio together, so that I could play the bass parts. This was after playing guitar for 20 years.

Now I could kick myself for not starting on bass sooner -- it is incredibly fun. Plus I hear bass lines now in a way that I never did before.

Thanks to TB I learned the goodness of flats. That probably saved me years of wandering in the wilderness.

7. Pillgrimm13

Pillgrimm13

Sep 29, 2009
    queensbury ny
    i had been playing guitar for a year or so and had a cheap copy of a bc rich warlock (with a a rubbery whammy neck), i went to a music store to get an authentic bc rich warlock and there was a bc rich platinum series warlock bass there and my friend sugested i try it cuz bass players were hard to find then. i instantly fell in love with the feel and sound bass (guitar never really felt right to me) and ive been playing for 20+ years now and still love warlocks.

8. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I've played guitar since I was 12 and one day when I was 22 a bass fell into my lap (sold to me cheap) via a friend. At first it was just this cool "other instrument" to have around, but then one day a couple of my other friends said "We're going to the jam room - wanna go?" and since they were holding their guitars, I brought the bass. That wound up turning into a band and I turned into a bass player.

Ever since then, I've always played bass when I'm in a band because everyone needs a bassist and I love being in that space between drums and guitar where nobody can tell me what to do. There's just more room for creativity IMO.

9. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I had been playing guitar for a while, but we really needed a bassist. Then, the Beatles exploded, and Sir Paul convinced me to grab a bass. I still play guitar a bit (have two Christmas "performances" coming up with a violinist) but bass is my true love.

10. Winnb

Winnb

Nov 4, 2010
    Many moons ago, when I was a wee little lad, my dad's band needed a bass player. They played country tunes, some bluegrass, and I already knew scales and notes and such. So he bought a bass for me and I started playing it. I loved it. Never looked back.

11. This. Traded a lawsuit era Ibanez for a cheap Teisco knockoff. Of course, this was 1985 and what can you tell an eleven year old. I played guitar for roughly three years before that.

12. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Wow! Did we all defect from guitar? Bass is a homewrecker!!

13. pica

pica Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Isn't it obvious. Bass players get all the chicks. ;)

14. Winnb

Winnb

Nov 4, 2010
    LOL! Yeah it happens a lot. I think most guys look at guitar or drums and pursue them first. But eventually substance wins out over flash. :)

15. Kenova

Kenova

May 5, 2010
    Zagreb (Croatia)
    THAT moment was after I saw Iron Maiden concert -Live After Death- !!!! That Steve Harris amazed me!!!! :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

16. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    My friends started a band, nobody wanted to play the bass. At the time, I wasn't exactly sure what was a bass, but I decided to buy one, as I wanted to be in a band. 9 years later, I'm studying music at University !

17. LiamR

LiamR

Aug 15, 2010
    When I started being able to pick out good bass lines. Plus, I'd think my hands are too big for a guitar anyway :p

18. plangentmusic

plangentmusic Banned

Jun 30, 2010
    Manhattan
    Played drums professionally for many years. Fooled around with guitar and piano to compose. But always loved the bass.

In order to grow as an artist I felt I needed to take that leap and make the bass the instrument that would be my livelihood. So I did.

19. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    Pretty much the same story.But I was a fumbling, bumbling bass player for a couple of years, really approaching it like a guitarist who'd lost a couple of strings, lol.
    But, as mentioned, i play guitar and also piano as well. My public playing is restricted(by choice) to playing in the church. There is another guitarist there who is also a fine bass player. We have played together for several years. Usually, when I play guitar or piano and sing, he plays the bass, but when he plays guitar and sings, I would play guitar. I really started listening, and realized that my adding leads and fills to his guitar work was just o.k., but if i could add bass lines, it would be much fuller and thicker a sound. It snowballed from there. I still play the other instruments, but I play a lot of bass now as well. Love it.

20. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    My brother (who had just turned 16) was driving me to school. I was in the 4th grade. He was playing mother's milk (rhcp album) on his car system, and right as we were pulling up 'Higher Ground' came on. And I knew it was a kind of guitar, but it didnt sound like a normal one. I knew from that moment that, thats what I wanted to do. It took me another year or so to finally buy a bass.