Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What made you discover music?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yawnsie, Mar 5, 2001.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, not discover music as such, but I was wondering what exactly made you realise you wanted to play music - what convinced you to invest time, effort, and money into music, whether as a bass player or something else. I know there have been a lot of threads recently about what made people take up the bass, but hopefully the answers to this should be a little different.

2. mommy made me pway da piano... i didnt wike it!!

3. I wanted to be a musician and after i realized alot of people in my area were taking up guitar and drums. i decided to take up bass and make my chances of being ina band better. luckily i picked up the bass cause its te instrument that suits me best.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...it was a long journey for me. It all started when I was 12...wait, strike that, I just sorta jumped on the wagon.

My mom made me learn piano for about 6 months. She gave up when she saw I had no real interest in Piano. Then, shortly after, I discovered music. Well sort of; a friend got me a copy of White Zombie's "Astro Creep 2000". And I about dropped a load. Huge change from my parents music, let me tell you. Then, a year later I got into the alternative music scene. Old Sugar Ray, Green Day, ect. Then onto metal/hard rock, then metal underground with the Hardcore death/speed/thrash ect metal. Then down to metal and hard rock and punk (where I now reside). That's about it.

I got into playing music because my friend played guitar, then I tried to, then onto bass, where I intend to stay. I think what got me kicked in the butt and made me play music was the fact that music a large part of my life, and I wanted more than just listen to to. I wanted to make it. So here I am.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah...same here, but let me tell you, I look kinda funny with a bass in my hands. Like somethings not quite right. However, I look killer with a guitar. Somthing I found quite to my dismay about a month ago. Oh well. Bass is too much better for somethign silly like looks may me stop.

6. lol I was brought up listening to music. Once I was in school I always wanted to play an instrument. Then I got bass.. then yea! hehe

7. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    My mom didn't make me take the piano, but she asked, and since I always used to bang on ours I figured what the heck. Then the teacher moved. Then the announcment came over the intercom in the 6th grade, "ppsssttt crackle, anybody that would like to play the electric bass in the seventh grade, cracke pssttt, please report to the band room, cracle pssst fffttt" so I stood up and walked out of the room, got detention for leaving class, but look what happened 5 1/2 years later.

8. i was a cold day in april, and it was raining so we had to stay indoors. after my mom got sick of me she said why don't you put on your raincoat and play in traffic. i asked for another choice. she said try to fix our 8track. well after i got it working i tested it with a tape they had, it was a greatest hits tape with Evil Ways by Santana, Whole Lotta Love by Zeppelin, These Eyes by The Guess Who, Behind Blue Eyes by The Who. 18 by Alice Cooper, and others.that tape made me love music.

9. 3 or 4 years back, christmas was rolling around and i had absolutely no idea what to ask for. didn't really want anything. my mom asks "would you like guitar lessons or something?" i assumed that it was too late for me to start playing, i thought you had to be a prodigy to be any good at an instrument. so i said, why not. i got an acoustic guitar for christmas, but the lessons sucked, i figured it was me. so i packed it in. i picked it back up of my own accord a few months later, learned some chords, and figured out the key was learning songs i like by bands i know. the guitar thang took off, and then i got into sublime. not surprisingly, i started playing bass. :)

10. I started on piano when I was about 5 or 6, voluntarily. I had always looked up to my brother, and he was taking piano lessons at the time. So, my mom signed me up with the same teacher as my brother and we took lessons together for about 6 years. Unfortunately, after about 2 or 3 years of it I started to get sick of it, and finally the piano teacher moved out of town and my mom had to look for a new one (she wanted me to continue playing).
    Well, finally she found a new teacher, we went for an interview, but then summer came along and the teacher said he'd call us when he got back from his vacation. He never called. :D

And then a year or 2 later (or longer, I'm not quite sure. :p) my brother started playing guitar. Then I joined the Hong Kong branch of the Duke of Edinburgh Award, the Hong Kong Award For Young People, in which you have to have a creativity skill, an action (basically sports), and a community service, and each had to be done for certain amounts of time. For guitar I decided to make like my brother and learn guitar, although I never did get good at it. :p. About a year later, a few friends were putting a band together for our school's first ever talent show (which happened to be last year. :D:p) and I decided "What the heck, I SORTA play guitar, and bass can't be all THAT hard..." so I went out & bought (or got conned into buying) a Fender '62 jazz reissue.

That, however, wasn't what got me REALLY into it. It was talkbass.com. Yep. Signed up to win the Warwick, decided to ask for some help here, and next thing I know I'm hearing about bands like "Metallica" and "Dream Theater" and "Rush". Of course, while I was younger when I had first heard of Metallica, I was almost absolutely sure that I would NEVER listen to heavy metal, because I thought it was evil. Now...well, now I am the proud owner of 3 Metallica CDs...:D:p

11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Well....I have ALWAYS loved rock, when I was 5 or 6 the only thing I listened to was GNR......and I wanted to be a guitarist because I thought Slash was cool, and I loved his solos....and when I was 11 years old I started listening to RHCP and realized that bass was REALLY cool....but I got my first guitar when I was 12, and when I was 14 I got my first bass...I still play guitar...kinda.....I just never practise...

12. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    from the time i was a little kid, i was always drumming on everything. parents finally bought me a drum set when i was 14. converted to bass at age 30.

13. A couple of friends that I grew up with were 1st generation English. One of them, in fact, was born in England before his parents moved to the US. Anyway, around the same time, The Beatles got into the Guinness Book of World Records as being the 'most successful musical group' in the history of music. This was a big source of pride for them as they were both heavily into The Beatles. I always wondered if this was because The Beatles were from England. The Beatles, in fact, had broken up 5-6 years previously. At one point I actually borrowed a book about The Beatles from one of my friends and after reading it became hooked on both the music and the story behind the band. It was inevitable that I would get into playing music after that.:)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it was down to my music teacher at secondary school - at the time I was singing in the choir and she got us to do some really interesting music - like Britten's "Rejoice in the Lamb" and Bach's "Magnificat". But the point I can remember sitting up and take notice was when she played us records in class and I remember being astounded by a Stockhausen piece she played us called "Gesang der Junglinge" which was like an electronic "treatment" of the spoken voice and I'd never heard anything like it before. I'd got sick of things like the Beatles being played on the radio all the time and was searching for something different I suppose and after that started to look into my next door neighbour's record collection - he was abit older than me (I was about 12 or 13) and had things like "Soft Machine" and other weird stuff. I was just interested in things that were different and exciting rather than what was ordinary and common-place. Now my tastes have changed to accommodate an appreciation of things I thought dull back when I was in school - I can remember berating my sister for only listening to Motown and hated it simply because she liked it; but now really like a lot of it. But I still like experiencing things that are completely different and unlike anything else - true "originals".

Anyway I met other people at school who were also into "avant garde" music and one pianist wrote atonal music - I remember him writing out, in standard notation a piece for me which he called simply "bass solo" which was a composition based on the 12-tone row used in the Viennese school - Schonberg etc. I had taken up bass then as my voice had dropped and I was singing/reading the bass parts in the choir.

At the time, I was really committed to music, but then I discovered girls and the "Joy of Sex" and it all went out the window and I forgot it all for many years and I found reading music much more difficult when I came back to it as an adult - but that's another story! ;)

15. My uncle was the dean of music at a local university. There was no choice in my family but to learn to play piano. Started when I was 4.

FF

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I played flute and violin since age 6.
    Discovered rock music at age 11 with the help of Accept's 'Breaker' and some Iron Maiden albums.
    Switched to bass guitar at age 16 - never looked back since...:)

Still own that violin though, you never know...;)

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    my parents, mostly my dad got me into music, he had 2 guitars an old 57 gretsch aniversary model and a 62 fender jazzmaster, i remember picking up his guitars and faking it to many an elvis and beatles record. then at age 7 they got me a yamaha acoustic guitar but it didnt take...then when i was 15 or 16 i thought it would be a great way to get girls if i could really learn to play the thing, so he handed down the Gretsch to me, i didnt get that good on it so i took up bass.

and anyone that says that they didnt start playing to get girls is a liar..lol...*gene simmons said that once*

18. EdgarHons

EdgarHons

Oct 14, 2000
    In all honesty, I despised music until I was asked to sing in a band. I videotaped my friend's band playing, they needed a singer, and for some reason got me. Then I got into music and am now obsessed with it...weird now that I think about it...

19. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I didn't have much choice. Pops was blastin' Artie Shaw,
    Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Harry James, et. al., while
    I was doin' the backstroke in the amniotic pond.

[​IMG]

First words? "It don't mean a thing..." :p

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Dad was almost tone deaf, but he loved music. He always wanted to be a musician, and he enouraged us kids to be musical.

Daddy was a Pentecostal preacher, so early on I was exposed to Southern Gospel, Black Gospel and plain old Gospel music, he played records(remember those?) constantly, and I loved music from the time I was 2 or 3.

Then my older brother took up guitar and later drums, and that got me hooked for good.

Learned to play drums and then bass in church, still going strong 20+ years later, on bass anyways.