1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What made you go 6 string??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I play metal, May 9, 2010.

1. Jus curious...Im ready to make the jump to add a 6er to the mix I think.Looking for that versatility and just to challenge myself really.

Would be curious with your 6 string experience/advice and why you went with a 6,etc.

Much thx..

2. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Why someone else plays a 6er should have nothing to do with you getting one. If you want to play a 6er come on in, the waters fine:)

3. I don't think he said anything of the sort. What the guy's looking for is relatable experiences.

Me, I have none. After a year and a half I still from time to time space out with my 5 and slip back into 4 banger mode. But good luck.

4. Thx....na it doesnt matter why anyone else plays a 6er, just curious with people with experience with the switchover and just kinda what it did with there own styles/sounds and playing...just outa curiousity.

Either way im pumped about grabbing a 6er.

Any suggestions btw??I was looking at a used yammy trb(?)6.

5. rbolanos

rbolanos

Apr 13, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
    Hey,
    I truly got inspired by watching this bass player at a show in Toronto doing chords, once in a whille just to fill in, and I thought it was a phenomenal,bringing my guitar chops to the instrument then i started exploring a bit more, and just made a lot of sense to me, just be aware if you are into slapping, the string spacing is important IMHO.
    go for it! you can always go back to 5 ers if it doesnt work out :cool:
    peace.

6. Nice!Thx bro..

Umm ya I do alot of slapping and love my strings really spaced...a big reason why I was looking at the yammy 6 string with 19mm spacing.

7. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    John Myung. lolz.

8. haha just listening to some Dream theater..."panic attack".

Hooowa!

9. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I was robbed. Thief got away with all my gear. Insurance check came in and I was ready to go replace my stolen gear with pretty comparable stuff. In other words, I was going to go buy another four banger. A drummer who I was playing with at the time mentioned he had seen a pretty inexpensive six string bass at a local shop (washburn mb6). He wouldn't shut up about the damned thing. I finally bought it, partially on a whim, partially to shut that damned drummer up. In retrospect, it was a pretty stupid reason to jump into sixers (the drummer didn't even last out another month past the bass purchase), but I am glad I did it.

Don't think about it. Grab an instrument and make music. Reasons for selecting instrument A vs selecting instrument B are completely secondary to using the damned things. You want a sixer, get one and get on with the business of playing it.

10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    www.mcfrost.com

there is no more appropriate advocate of 6 string electric bass, than mr.mike frost. excellent musician. wonderfull human being. i'm lucky and glad to know him.

11. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    Thanks groooooove for the link !

I love what he do, and what can do anyone whit a 6 stringers.

I want one so bad.

I want one so bad, but i cant stand a 5 strings... weird no ?

12. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Bro, I was with you. My first leap from 4 went straight to six a mere two years into my playing career, at the tender age of 16. It worked really well. I developed a great ear for melody, and a unique playing style that still gets me work to this day, 11 years later.

That being said, I barely ever touch a 6 string anymore. In my original metal project, I play with such a phenomenal guitarist I have no desire to step on his boundaries. Sadowsky 5 gets played here (unless I need fretless, Carvin SB5000 comes out)
    In the sidework I do, my main weapon is my Fender 4 string.

So my main idea is that I initially said 5 strings were for chumps, 6ers are the way to go, and have since backslid, and play mostly 5, with a hint of 4 for those gigs that actually pay a buck or two, and 6 mostly stays in my room. That's not to say that will be your experience, I love a lot of 6 players. But think about your decision, play as many basses as you can, and really decide if 6 is the way for you.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I played six for a few years, and will go back if I can do a trade for a 19mm sixer like a TRB6 or a Heartfield. I have very modest chops, but I like sixers because it is easy to play so much without changing positions. My only challenge was slapping as well because muting strings requires extra care.

14. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
    Thanks BKBassDude.

Dr. Cheese: You hit the problem right on, the muting thing. If i have some difficulty to mute a string on my 5 (the A most of the time), how that going to be on a 6*?!

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It can be done. It will just take practice.

16. The_NoBody

The_NoBody

Apr 12, 2010
  17. Cool...much thx guys!!

18. Codymb

Codymb

Mar 26, 2007
    Burlington, NC
    I think one thing that all us six string players can agree on is the convenience of more available notes in any given position is more than enough reason to play a 6er. Once you really understand the possibilities that opens up you'll never want to go back.

19. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    For me it was simply the amount of strings. I play a lot of trip hop and I love doing organ type stuff on a bass, yet I still sometimes need that low B. Also, I really like tight string spaces, especially for slapping as I use the double thumb a lot. Tighter string spacing allows easier playing as I don't need to change my position as much.

However, 6 string could never replace the coolness and fun and most of all tone I get from my 4's and I don't wan't the same things from both instruments. As basses, it just so happens that all my favourite tones and feels come from vintage type fenders. Luckily, that's not what I'm after when looking for in a six string as I've got that covered. I did play six strings exclusively for a couple of years though and I thought I had converted to a six string player. Now I'll happily play any number of strings, but extended range basses will always feel a bit like toys to me. But it's not the basses fault.

20. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Most 6+ string players who regularly play the basses find that a whole lot of things change when moving the string count up. The approach to playing the instrument is different in many ways .... not just the number of strings .... including technique, positioning, muting (previously mentioned), expression and a bunch of other things. Some players get 6+ string basses sort of on a whim, enjoy messing around with them a bit, eventually realizing that the effort put in to approach the instrument is not worth it to them and they bail out.

Playing ERB's is not harder than properly learning to play a 4 string or 5 string ... it's just different. ERB playing does not mean that you have to tap or do guitar-esque solo's or be a speed maniac. Lot's of regular 6+ string guys routinely fill the normal bass function, but add their own little stuff into the normal role. Of course, many do tap and solo and do a lot of the YouTube wanking (not meant in a disparaging way :)) we see, and lot's of them are very good at it.

If it's calling out to you, then give it a shot for sure. Just be patient and put the effort into it, only then will you be sure if it's right for you :cool: