Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What made you pick up the bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SeedyBloke, Jul 11, 2001.

1. What/Who inspired you to play the bass?

There was a time when I hardly knew what the hell a bass was. I think what really made me take notice and want to become a bassist was when I first started listening to Nirvana back at school. I borrowed Nervermind off a mental friend of mine who's into Death Metal! As he'd become a metal fanatic he'd gone off Nirvana and let me record the album.
    When I heard Lithium and Lounge Act I was hooked. I had to have a bass.
    So I got this crappy second hand Aria and a guitar amp for X-mas and started playing. My tastes have spread a lot now as I'm always looking for new inspiration. I love funky stuff like Flea and Stuart Zender and I'm getting into Jazz stuff now too.
    However it was the great lines constucted by Krist Novoselic that got me started.

2. i had a bad childhood, couldn't get any girlfriends.. and even the boys would not play with me..

So i bought a bassguitar, that is my one and only friend, and listens to me whenever i talk to it..

:D

no, seriously.. i bought a bassguitar because i wanted to start a band together with a friend of mine.

3. my dad plays the guitar and that has so many strings, the bass has 4, (mine does) so i thought it would be fun, plus i love bass in songs, the low booming...

4. king_truffle

king_truffle

Apr 4, 2001
    Oshkosh WI
    The first time I saw Craig Montoya (of Everclear) playing his bass on a VH1 special I was hooked, I knew right then that I had to get a bass and play like him. Then I had a friend that played bass in my high school pep band, he was the one who finally 'convinced' me to buy one and start playing (although he doesn't know this)

5. StereoBassist

StereoBassist Guest

Jul 10, 2001
    Sparta, New Jersey
    I actually didnt really get inspired to play. One day, my brother ordered a bass from musicians friend, but it was on backorder. so he went out and gotta ibanez GSR-100. So the next day, the bass came from musicians friend. I wanted a guitar, but never really played one until my friend got his. I didnt like it, so i played my brothers bass, and i liked that alot better, so i got to keep the bass. And i dont suck too bad. I have influences tho, Flea, Stu Hamm, Marcus Miller, Matt freeman, all those greats.

6. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    My mate had a band, and needed a bass player.

I can really say that bass playing has improved my life. For once I have an interest that I really love.

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    My brother and I convinced my mother to buy us a bass and a guitar for x-mas (like 9 years ago), and I picked up the guitar because wanted to play like Slash from Guns n´roses, then like a year after that a good friend call me because he needed a bass player for a gig two days after, and he told me: "I now your brother has a bass, but I want you in the band so, get his bass and come on and play"
    Later I told my brother that we had to change instruments and I gave him my guitar and get the bass........ the rest is history or maybe histeria

8. Everyone in my family plays music. All my uncles are in bands, my grandmother was a famous concert pianist etc. I tried piano and was apparently good at it but gave it away for some reason.

Dad had a bass in the store room that he used occasionally in his band when he needed to fill in, and i was thinking about how cool the prospect of starting a band would be so i asked him if i could learn it. My brother plays guitar and it never really did it for me.

Long live the mellow low end aye?! :p

Merls

9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    i started playing coz my freind got the first metallica CD, kill em all and i heard pulling teeth. so the next day i went to the local music shop and saw a geetar and 15 watt amp for $300. went home and after 6 months of mowing lawns and cleaning gutters i took my piggy bank down to that music shop and i walked out of there a new man. i got home and played it and the top string came off the nut. i went back and showed them and they gave me a $1000 to play until they ordered in the new one. and i still got the $1000 geetar!. so yeah i started playing coz of cliff burton, jason newstead and sam Rivers(limp Bizkit)

10. Well, no-one in my family was ever usically gifted or inclined. My dad listened to a lot of 60's rock and blues, my mum was into current and old pop, but neither of them had ever played an instrument.

Anyway, I had a guitar playing friend(actually my current guitarist) who was OK at playing. I knew about instruments, but not what talent meant on an individual instrument. Anyway, I played my guitarists Harmony guitar(something like one of the original imported british electro-acoustics - worth about £1500), and it sucked. I didn't like the smallness of the thing, or the wimpy tone it gave out(I was used to hearing drop-tuned distortion from my music). But, playing it gave me the itch to spread my wings: I wanted to play an instrument. I thought about taking up the guitar: but I already knew a guitarist, and I didn't really enjoy it anyway. Drums was too expensive, and I never thought I had natural rhythm(how wrong I was). So, I settled on the bass; somewhere between.

Luckily, my school had a bass, and every now and again I jammed on that. I wasn't very good by any means, but I found it comfortable enough to continue. I signed up for lessons(with the ****tiest teahcer ever) at school, and went from there. Bought a bass at Xmas 2000, borrowed a 70W guitar amp, and got playing. I'm glad I took it up, because soon after another couple of friends took up guitar(one hasn't stuck with it; the other was forced into it by his guitar-playing parents because they wouldn't buy him a drumkit...he's drumming anyway, and getting big-headed about his guitaring because his parents and brother are ok, and they teach him. Basically when he masters something cool that they can do he gets a bigger head. At least he's a humble drummer), and we wouldn't have had a bass player in our band. I'm probably the most dedicated to my instrument, and I'm approaching the talent level of my guitarist(he's been playing 18 months, but doesn't concentrate his practice time). My drummer doesn't have his own kit, but he's not bad. He's got sh!tloads of guitars though.

The worst thing about picking it up was that my parents weren't happy; they'd tried instruments and failed, why should I be any different? So I saved up my own £200 and went for it(and had no other xmas presents either). Now my parents are supportive of my bass stuff, especially since I play 'Sunshine Of Your Love' for my dad or some beatles for my mum... being a bassist rocks.

And, I'll always to be able to say to my kids: "I didn't get encouragement. I took it up on my own merits."

Wow, that was long.

11. It was too awkward bending over and playing it while it laid on the floor.

BA DA BOOM!

Holy cow, Batman! That's enough material for a mini series, Pantera.

12. star

star

Jul 11, 2001
    Scottsboro, AL . USA
    Well, I've grown up in a musical home. My father is a very good guitarist (very inspiring) and my mom sings. I started out on an acustic guitar and loved it. I played it for a year or so and decided there was too many strings. (LOL) So, I was at my cousins house one day and he has many guitars and a bass. I started fooling around with the bass and fell in love. So I bought the bass and Peavy amp from him for $250 bucks and I've been playing ever since. I love music, it's in my soul. Whenever I play I feel the music and believe I will end up playing the rest of my life.

13. Look at the first line of my sig...perfect example right there.

14. Well that wasnt it. But i guess the Idea that i could make something of myself was.

15. And my mom plays piano.

16. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    My brother started playing guitar.

We're incredibly competitive, so not to be outdone I decided to play an instrument too. I couldn't choose guitar (because of the code), I couldn't sing, and I sure as hell wasn't going near drums.

Therefore bass.

Before I actually bought one I had no idea what it did.

17. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've always wanted to play in a band. Last year I was talking with some friends and they were going to buy guitars and take lessons, mostly for a lark. I always liked the sound of the bass, so I joked i'd buy a bass and play with them. A month later we went to a party/album recording at Toby Myers house (Mellencamps former bassists) and it was awesome being around someone like that. I was standing right next to him while he was playing. A week later I bought an Ibanez starter kit and started taking lessons. 8 months later i'm still rocking in my spare room and i'm in two bands that are both practicing for our first gig later in the summer. Love it.

fisk

18. GTi Giant

GTi Giant

Jun 20, 2001
    Dublin, OH
    Almost all of my friends play, and I listen to almost every type of music out there. One day over at a buddies house I picked up an acoustic bass he had sitting around and said, "Jar, teach me to play something." About an hour later I knew the basics of Ironman, Ob-li-dee Ob-li-da, and Come Together. Two weeks later I put my Epi on layaway.

19. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Well..This is the short version..
    I started playing classical guitar when I was 12. (I still play it when I feel like..) But I thought something was missing. The low frequencies..
    When I was about 13 I tried bass for the first time. I LOVED it. Then I decided to buy bass as soon as I could..
    When I was 14 I bought my first bass. And haven´t stopped since..

20. Well basically I've been into 311 for about 6-7 years, and one song's bass solo introduced me to the sounds of the bass. "What was I thinking" is the song. I was also a Rage against the machine fan since Evil empire cuz that's when I heard about them. A couple years later I bought the first album and was hooked to the bass solo of "take the power back". The last straw was Matt Lovato from Mest, my favorite band. I heard the bass to all of the punk rock songs and knew I had to have a bass. So I am currently taking lessons from a man who's former band was rated number three in Hawaii and opened for the Scorpions once.