What make a bass is best for slap ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j3b3r, Nov 23, 2000.

1. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I've read the thread "best bass for slap"
    but there're only relpy on the brands......

so what make a bass sounds good when slaped ???
    material ?? electronics ?? body shape ?? pickup ???construction ???
    Tell me tell me....:)

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Your hands. Go practice. :D

Sep 10, 2000
    yes all those factors and hands the most i'll have to agree w/ MegaAngus...
  4. Low action helps, as do active electronics. I've also heard a maple fingerboard lends itself to slapping.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've always preferred rosewood/pauferro fingerboards for slapping; but as you're mainly hitting the frets, I don't see that this can have that much influence. I think frets have got to be important - like Jumbo frets on the RB5 make it good for slapping and in this respect, I found it much better for slapping than any other Fender I've tried - whether with maple or rosewood board.

While technique is undoubtedly important, I can tell you from experience that some basses just cry out to be slapped and lend themselves to this much more than others - as I've mentioned when I started playing a Fender RB5 it just seemed so easy to slap and sounded so much better than any other bass that I had played for slap, that it just wanted you to slap on it.

Other basses I have tried, despite being excellent basses,have been harder work and have just not sounded right when slapped. The big difference between the RB5 and the Yamaha TRB6P that I played which while being a great-sounding bass just didn't work for slap was the jumbo frets and I think the fact that the RB5 was a bolt-on and the TRB6P a neck-though. People often say that bolt-ons sound "tighter" and to me this means "good for slap"!
  6. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    hey Mega, i aggree with the hands :)

anyway, ebony fretboard will help i guess
    Yamaha basses have ebony fretboard, rite Bruce ???
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nope - I was saying the opposite. The Yamaha TRB6P has an ebony fingerboard, but the Fender Roscoe Beck 5 with its Pau Ferro fingerboard was much better for slap. However, what I was trying to say was that I thought that the frets had more affect on this - the RB5 has big jumbo frets, whereas the TRB6P has rather slender flat(tish) frets. If you were slapping a fretless maybe it would be an issue, but then although you can do it, you won't get the "classic" slap sound on a fretless.
  8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The basses that I own that sound best for slap are an American Standard Jazz with ash body, maple fingerboard and CS 60's PUs and my Mike Lull Modern 5 which has Seymour Duncal single coils, swamp ash body with maple top and a pau ferro fingerboard. I used to have a Roscoe Beck 5 and it was also quite good but not quite as good as the Lull bass.

The maple/ash combination seems to add something to the depth of the slap tone that is hard to describe. The difference is subtle and I'd not worry about it unless I was in a funk band and wanted a bass just for slap. In that case, it is hard to beat a jazz bass like mine or a Sting Ray with the same woods.

I've also owned several neck thru basses and agree with Bruce that they seemed to lack something for slap. Slap on a bolt on bass seems to have more depth to it probably because the neck thru basses have a very strong fundamental and less overtones than the bolt on basses.

I have a friend who is very good at slap and he sounds much better than me on any bass. Technique plays a very big part in the sound.