1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What make a bass is best for slap ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j3b3r, Nov 23, 2000.

1. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I've read the thread "best bass for slap"
    but there're only relpy on the brands......

so what make a bass sounds good when slaped ???
    material ?? electronics ?? body shape ?? pickup ???construction ???
    Tell me tell me....:)

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Your hands. Go practice. :D

3. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    yes all those factors and hands the most i'll have to agree w/ MegaAngus...

4. Low action helps, as do active electronics. I've also heard a maple fingerboard lends itself to slapping.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've always preferred rosewood/pauferro fingerboards for slapping; but as you're mainly hitting the frets, I don't see that this can have that much influence. I think frets have got to be important - like Jumbo frets on the RB5 make it good for slapping and in this respect, I found it much better for slapping than any other Fender I've tried - whether with maple or rosewood board.

While technique is undoubtedly important, I can tell you from experience that some basses just cry out to be slapped and lend themselves to this much more than others - as I've mentioned when I started playing a Fender RB5 it just seemed so easy to slap and sounded so much better than any other bass that I had played for slap, that it just wanted you to slap on it.

Other basses I have tried, despite being excellent basses,have been harder work and have just not sounded right when slapped. The big difference between the RB5 and the Yamaha TRB6P that I played which while being a great-sounding bass just didn't work for slap was the jumbo frets and I think the fact that the RB5 was a bolt-on and the TRB6P a neck-though. People often say that bolt-ons sound "tighter" and to me this means "good for slap"!

6. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    hey Mega, i aggree with the hands :)

anyway, ebony fretboard will help i guess
    Yamaha basses have ebony fretboard, rite Bruce ???

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nope - I was saying the opposite. The Yamaha TRB6P has an ebony fingerboard, but the Fender Roscoe Beck 5 with its Pau Ferro fingerboard was much better for slap. However, what I was trying to say was that I thought that the frets had more affect on this - the RB5 has big jumbo frets, whereas the TRB6P has rather slender flat(tish) frets. If you were slapping a fretless maybe it would be an issue, but then although you can do it, you won't get the "classic" slap sound on a fretless.

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The basses that I own that sound best for slap are an American Standard Jazz with ash body, maple fingerboard and CS 60's PUs and my Mike Lull Modern 5 which has Seymour Duncal single coils, swamp ash body with maple top and a pau ferro fingerboard. I used to have a Roscoe Beck 5 and it was also quite good but not quite as good as the Lull bass.

The maple/ash combination seems to add something to the depth of the slap tone that is hard to describe. The difference is subtle and I'd not worry about it unless I was in a funk band and wanted a bass just for slap. In that case, it is hard to beat a jazz bass like mine or a Sting Ray with the same woods.

I've also owned several neck thru basses and agree with Bruce that they seemed to lack something for slap. Slap on a bolt on bass seems to have more depth to it probably because the neck thru basses have a very strong fundamental and less overtones than the bolt on basses.

I have a friend who is very good at slap and he sounds much better than me on any bass. Technique plays a very big part in the sound.

Chuck