Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What makes $2000 basses better than $1000 or lower?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michaeldalton7, Aug 15, 2005.

1. michaeldalton7

michaeldalton7

Aug 15, 2005
    What makes a bass expensive? I have an SR 505 which has really good wood and came with BArtolinis and I've played on expensive basses like Modulus, Foderas, MTD, Zon, Pedullas, etc and they don't sound that much different besides the tones from different woods of course. But we play for audiences and most audiences can't tell Birdseye Maple from Walnut. So then that brings another question. Can any bass sound like a $2000 and up bass if the equipment is really good(amp, cabs, sound board, etc.)

2. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I've been asking myself the same question since I bought my first Carvin.

But seriously, what it sounds like is only half the equation of what makes a $2000 bass better than a $1000 bass. How it plays and feels is the other half....and it's obviously all subjective.

3. most of the time, no. i don't think anything past 1000 is really that much better, just jacked up prices. you may pay for customized or handmade stuff, but all in all, most $2000 don't sound or play 2x as good as a $1000 bass. they may be a little better, but def not 2x better.

4. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    shouldnt this been in the bass forum?

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    1st play what you like.
    2nd play what you like.
    I did buy a $2K+boutique bass to replace my $3K+boutique bass and it sounded hugely better and was more me.
    For any item car guitar etc. if you can feel the difference or hear the difference and you can afford it buy it.
    Some times some things are more expensive for no reason that is intrinsic to your needs. Like cost of advertising. But if that manufacturer is small his costs may be more than outsourced cheap labor. So how does it sound and feel?
    I once bought a name brand shirt. At the same time a friend bought a no name shirt in a budget department store. His had a hole in it in a week. Eight years later my shirt developed a tear on a seam. I walked into a store that sold them. Showed the tear to a salesman. He spins around points to the wall covered with every shade of this same shirt and says, "what color would you like". I hadn't even bought it there and I certainly didn't have a receipt. It reflected on the company that this shirt failed in service. Quality is where you find it.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]Thank you

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Probably the same thing that makes $2000 Amps better than $1000 Amps.

8. tsk tsk silly people. Of course the answer is, as we all suspected in the first place, Elfin majic.

simple really. Them elves don't work cheap. They ain't nobody's bitches...and they loves them some fudge. Go ahead. ask them..they'll set you straight.

can we move onto an interesting topic now? Thang-Q!

Daddy's insomnia came a week early, and I'm bloating.

9. The attention to detail?

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    No, the five extra $200 bills.

11. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    What makes $2000 basses better than $1000 or lower?

The extra $300 in resale value.

12. ouch... but it's so true.

13. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    the more you pay for it the more *special* it feels when you play it! Also usually a quality instrument makes you want to play it more and play it better when as a crapper is not very inspiring to either play or look at. Its like a woman or a car or whatever.. just get the best one you can afford and it will keep you pretty happy.. I guess some people don't care about this material BS but I'd suspect >%99 do want a good/pricey one of whatever they want!

14. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    in theory, the more expensive the more work was done by hand.

also, once you get into those ranges, i'd guess it's how unique the intrument is. if'n i was to pay 3-6 grand i know i'd want a D Huff or comperable, something personalized rather than a Fender or Rickenbacker

15. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    +1000 on the customer service angle. The public has come to expect superior customer service from purveyors of expensive gear, and in my experience they do come through.

My band has two Bose PASes and the customer service has been beyond belief. Expensive? Yes. Worth it.

My first jobs were in retail, and the enduring lesson I learned (aside from the fact that working in retail SUCKS) is that with any manufactured item, there's a certain amount you have to spend to get a decent product. Anything below that and it's crap. Anything above that is all gravy and personal preference.

$1000 is definitely at or above the break point for basses. There are many high-quality instruments that can be had for that (MusicMan, Carvin, etc.). But if you want the little extras, that extra little bit of attention to detail, and superior customer service, you need to spend the bucks to get it.

BTW, this goes for shopping too. If you want the assurance that you'll be taken care of after the sale, don't buy off the internet or from GC. Find a good, honest, straight-up local music store and give them your business. Strike fair deals and don't try to screw them out of a few bucks. It'll cost you a bit more, but it will eventually pay off in spades.

16. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I didn't think that there was any difference between an expensive bass and a average priced bass until I bought one. the differences that count are usually the subtle ones that you don't notice until you have played it for a while. The easy of playing, the tonal flexibility and the sheer joy of playing are things that you won't notice as much if you just pull one off the wall at a store. True sometimes you are just paying for flash like a figured wood top but to me a bass that someone worked on and loved on has soul built into it moreso that a plank that came off a factory line in Korea. Bottom line play what you like, play how you like and leave the playa hating to the rappers

17. RE:PEAT

RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    The law of diminishing returns permeates all aspects of life. :eek:

18. The difference is a little workmanship, hand made, exotic woods, and lots of prestige.

Randy

19. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    words of the year,i can understand more and more about basses and prices,i understand the brand/price/reputation relation,you can find a very good bass with $1,000,is true,you don,t need waste more money,if you are a god player you can play also a SX and made she to sound amazing,if you play bad,you can made a Fodera sound badly,my two cents and my plans to waste $2,000 in a new bass are stoped,now my idea is to upgrade my SX and ad a nice $1,000 or 1,300 bass. :bassist:

20. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I think there's a huge difference. Several things contribute to the added cost - construction methods, quality of the components, woods and other materials, attention to detail, finish quality, electronics quality. If all you're concerned with is sound (which is entirely subjective anyway) you may be able to accomplish what you want with $1,000. But can you find what you want in sound + looks + playability + flexibility, etc? Maybe, maybe not. Does it matter? People buy what they want.