Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What makes a 34" scale low B tight?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by King David, Aug 15, 2002.

1. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I know that a 35" scale can considerably tighten a low B, but I do not really want a 35" scale.

What makes a bass have a good low B? Is it the stiffness of the neck, the bridge, the electronics? I can't imagine the body makes that big of a difference, other than the neck/body joint. What makes it tight?

I am going to take a stab that says a reinforced (or very stiff) neck may make a huge difference. What do you think?

2. If you take a 135/140 B-string thats a whole lotta tighter than a 120!

3. - the stiffness of the neck.

- a tight nut-hole holds the string tight, therefore less floppy.

- good solid bridge.

- the stiffness and thickness of the string.

- the angle from the nut to the tuner-pole. ( read : the number of windings around the tuner-pole.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

- Tiltback headstock

- Break angle over the saddles (esp. strings-through-body)

- Larger core string

- Luthier voodoo

5. - The neck/body join (according to Marleaux).
    - The strings gauge

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

"Luthier voodoo" is often the difference between a tight B and a floppy B. Proper setup includes factors such as intonation and pickup height.

7. I hear Pedulla sacrifices young blonde virgins, in order to obtain their supreme sound... spooky.. :eek:

8. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Ken Smith??

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maybe this dictionary definition will help;

"Fulcrum - The point on which a lever is balanced when a force is exerted'

A 38" scale bass can be the floppiest thing you ever played.

10. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    It's mostly in the neck stiffness. It should be as stiff as possible yet still respond to truss rod adjustments.

I agree that a 34" scale is more comfortable to most people. Mine is a 35" and is quite a stretch in the lower register.

Anyway, Yamaha and Conklin seam to have mastered the low B in the 34" scale.

Remember, if it is too tight, you won't get the growl. It should be as loose as possible without rattling on stuff.

11. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Wait a minute... Aren't YOU blonde?? Yikes!!

-robert

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Evidence seems to suggest neck stiffness is the main player. Zon (composite) and Ken Smith (laminated) are two examples of very good 34" B strings.

Other mentioned factors (break angles and such) may have less impact, but certainly contribute.

Chas

13. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Well, I can surely attest to 2 of the factors mentioned here. I've got a 36'-scale composite neck on my Clover, and the B on this thing is unbelievable!

Check it out.

(Yes, this is just an excuse to show my bass... lol)

14. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    And this...

15. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    How did you get ahold of a Clover ? The bass looks fantastic. I love the p/u arrangement.

16. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I found this Clover at The Bass Place in Mesa, AZ (www.thebassplace.com). I'd never seen one before, but once I tried it, I fell in love. Getting used to the 36" scale was a little weird at first, but now when I play a 34" scale bass it feels like a toy.

BTW, does anyone know if anyone makes replacement JJ pickups? I'd love to put some Barts in this thing, but Bartolini doesn't make anything to replace the JJ pickup with. Hmm... maybe I'll get some skilled person to take a router to it and make a hole for a nice MM pickup or something.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    rigid neck. rigid neck. rigid neck.

did i mention "rigid neck".

18. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Hum, neck stiffness, uh?

I'm thinking of Warwick. Wow! It all makes sense to me now! :)

19. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Stingray5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Fender jazzbass V !

:)